Lower Expander broken? (pics included)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrandonH

Lower Expander broken? (pics included)

#1 Post by BrandonH »

I don't know what you call this particular appliance, but I Think it's broken.

The ortho put it on yesterday. This morning, when my wife went to turn it, it really didn't want to turn.

Later in the day, I could feel that the wire was broken.

Anyone ever have this happen? I fear that we'll have to take this off, get a new one made, and installed in a few weeks. . . . kinda sucks, but I'm sure this sort of thing happens.

Here is a pic.

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi,

no expert here but I think it was built that way. The bars that are connected
to the screw and are closest to your tongue do the expanding. The other ones
just guide the teeth. I have seen this before, but then the guiding bars were
about symmetrical. But I can imagine that they can be unsymmetrical too, like
in your case. It (right part on the pic) can sweep open and bring your lower front
teeth a bit forward. Just guessing here. But I think it was meant to be like that.
Are you sure your wife turned it in the right direction and hard enough ?

eggraid101

#3 Post by eggraid101 »

In order for the expander to "expand" that wire cannot be continuous all the way across, so it should be "broken" somewhere. I would ask your Orthodontist about it!
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

BrandonH

#4 Post by BrandonH »

the doc said it wasn't broken. . . . . just me being paranoid.