Underbite worse

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Post Reply
Sweet Escape
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:26 pm
Location: Australia

Underbite worse

#1 Post by Sweet Escape »

My ortho says by bite (underbite) has gotten worst since braces (one year today!) but she says this a good thing as I'll be able to get maximum results during surgery.

Can somebody explain why it's gotten worse and why it's better.



Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:16 am
Location: Singapore

#2 Post by ReneG »

My ortho and surgeon examined me together and also discussed it over my teeth model as well. I reckon that they are aware of what they are doing. Note that I need both upper and lower jaw surgery!

My ortho didn't tell me straight out that my bite would get worse. His view is just to get my teeth angled, aligned, in place exactly as the surgeon wants them. After he described the movements he had in mind, I asked him "hmm, isn't that going to make my bite a lot worse?" He paused a bit, I think to say it in the nicest way, but there really isn't a nicer way to say it.

But he did take time and effort to emphasize that of all the surgical cases he has done with that particular surgeon, 80% of them were happy and would choose to do it again. The other 20% were due to their cases being marginal cases which would be not drastically helped by surgery but they elected to proceed.

So I'm really lowering my expectations during my brace period... and I have to be careful not to expect too much from after the surgery.

I also just found out that I will be having a genioplasty as well, since my chin will be out of whack after the BSSO. I'm just relieved that they thought of that!

User avatar
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 am
Location: Pennsylvania

#3 Post by badbite »

I am at the beginning of my braces journey with only haveing SARPE so far, but I have already been forwarned that my bite will get really bad bafore surgery. I am hoping to have upper only.


RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am
Location: Leesburg, VA

#4 Post by eggraid101 »

That is very common for pre-surgical treatment. Often, we will extract teeth and make the bite worse in preparation to surgery. Before orthodontics, the teeth will often times compensate for the jaws being way out of whack by tipping too far forward or too far back. We then use the braces to reverse this compensation and get the teeth to the proper angle, then the surgery moves the jaw...and the teeth fit together beautifully (we hope). Things usually go very well, and even if they can't be made to be perfect, they are much much better than they would be without surgery. good luck!
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.


Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Vancouver Canada

#5 Post by JayC »

my underbite worsened.. then decreased a bit .. my teeth are full aligned now.. im ready for surgery and my underbite isnt even that bad rite now but still noticeable esp if i clench and smile. the molars just dont fit..

Post Reply