Brushing at adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dawna

Brushing at adjustment

#1 Post by Dawna »

I was just wondering if I'm the only one who does this? At my second-last adjustment, I was feeling around with my tongue while the archwire was off and EWWWWWW, in between my teeth felt so gross! Yes, I brush at least 3 times a day, floss, etc etc etc but there are just some places I think you can't reach while braced. Anyway, at my last adjustment I asked if it would be ok to just brush my teeth quickly while my archwire was off and they said sure. It felt soooooooo good I cannot even describe it. Next time I'm bringing along my floss too :D

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else does this, or if I'm just a weirdo LOL.

science teacher

burshing

#2 Post by science teacher »

yep I've done it, flossed too. Now I"m in the last wires I'll have so no more removing them. I do think you do a better job without the archwire and I love the feel of being a "speed flosser" even if it was once in awhile.

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

gabi

#3 Post by gabi »

I brush and floss at every visit as soon as they take the archwires out. Everyone there always seems a little surprised, so I don't think most of the kids there are so eager.

acd

#4 Post by acd »

They always give me the opportunity to brush and floss after the archwires are removed. Before I got braces I rarely flossed but being able to floss without the wires being in is something that I actually look forward to now.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

My appointments include the brushings without wires. They take off the ligs and wires, have us brush and floss then come back.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

breal87

#6 Post by breal87 »

yeah i always brush and floss when they take the wires out. It really does feel good!

Test

cosmicgirl

#7 Post by cosmicgirl »

you are all so civilised! I'm always in such a state by the time I get in the chair that I am paralysed with fear and just let my ortho get on with it. It's only later, when I'm together, that I get cross with myself for being such a twit!
Next time - DEFINITELY!!

mariahfromchicago

#8 Post by mariahfromchicago »

They make me brush. But I don't know what my new orthodontist will be like.
- mariah :heart:

skintz

#9 Post by skintz »

I'd be too scared to ask! I get the feeling its "not the done thing" to keep the ortho waiting...i'd love to be able to do it tho :(

bracedintx

#10 Post by bracedintx »

Absolutely. I LOVE brushing and flossing when the wire is out! My ortho's office is very big on oral hygiene. I almost always see them send at least one person to re-brush before they do the adjustment. They have single use toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, threaders and mouthwash available. They have told me more than once how much they appreciate the attention I put into keeping my mouth clean. They also started giving out gift cards to those who see their dentist every six months.
self-ligating metal brackets all around