Update on refusal to wear elastics to close my open bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SandraJones

Update on refusal to wear elastics to close my open bite

#1 Post by SandraJones »

I had started a thread weeks ago ... my orthodontist had given me elastics to wear in the front to close my open bite. That evening I decided I didn't want to wear them because I don't want my lower teeth to be pulled up or my upper teeth to be pulled down any more than they already are, for aesthetic reasons.

I had my subsequent appointment today and when the orthodontist asked "How have the elastics been working for you ?" I told her I wasn't wearing them and I explained why. She was totally cool about it, said "OK" and we discussed options to correct my wayward molars. She used a special kind of paper (can't remember what it's called, it's kind of like carbon paper) to determine exactly where my molars are meeting, and she determined that my second molars are actually more of a problem than my first molars, they are extruded and she wants to try to impact them. She is going to put bands around those molars and link them in with the rest of my teeth.

So today I got spacers between my banded first molars and my soon-to-be-banded second molars and the bands will be installed in 2 weeks.

I wanted to post this update because I received zero support in my initial thread and I received a private message chastising me for my non-compliance. But my view is: they are my teeth, it's my money, and I have to be happy with the results. My non-compliance is not a statement of lack of faith in, or respect of, my orthodontist. It's simply me exercising normal control over my life. Apparently my orthodontist didn't have any problem understanding this, and that's why she didn't bother to contest my decision, she simply came up with an acceptable alternative.

Btw, I asked her about equilibration and she said that is definitely an option but is not done until near the end of treatment. So we'll see, I'm definitely open to having that done.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Sandra, I'm sorry if you felt my reply to your previous post was unsupportive as that was certainly not my intention. :(

I can understand your wish to have control over the final result. I made it clear at the outset of my treatment that jaw surgery was not an option and that I would accept a compromise result. I also refused to have my palatal implant reinserted after it rejected, because it had been so painful and troublesome. So my ortho had to find a workaround.

When I answered your last post, I wasn't trying to say "be a good girl, do as you're told and wear your elastics because your ortho's told you to". I was (I suppose) trying to discourage you from taking matters into your own hands without your ortho's knowledge and before discussing it with her. Of course I don't know all the details of your case but I do know that open bites are among the most difficult treatment problems to address.

If your ortho thinks she's found a workable alternative that's going to be acceptable to both you and her, then that's great and I'm pleased for you.

brace ventura

#3 Post by brace ventura »

they are my teeth, it's my money, and I have to be happy with the results. My non-compliance is not a statement of lack of faith in, or respect of, my orthodontist. It's simply me exercising normal control over my life.
:thumbsup:

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi Sandra

I fully respect your decision. I had an openbite that was fixed with elastics at the front and I must admit that the thought of my top teeth being pulled down worried me, I was afraid I'd end up with a gummy smile. In the event this didn't happen. It is a mystery to me how the bite closed with these elastics as I can't notice a difference in my upper teeth, maybe my bottom teeth have moved a tiny bit but this doesn't effect my smile.

As you say they're your teeth etc. I'm glad your ortho has found another way around the problem.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Clo

#5 Post by Clo »

Hi,

Having an open bite myself, I did read about your experiences as well. I didn't
answer back then because they can indeed use elastics to make that final correction
to close the bite. But as I read several times, not to totally close an open bite. And I
do not know where you stand now. But when they close an open bite using some
elastics in the front, the chances of relapse are very big. I now see another ortho,
but the former ortho did that for me. I indeed got a gummy smile a bit. When this
was stopped, I experienced very quickly a total relapse. So, my humble opinion is
this : when one has an anterior open bite, this shows (obviously) in the front but
correction is needed in the back. Intruding molars is needed. Your ortho indeed did
look where your molars make contact first and will try to "delay" that contact by
intruding them. It is only a pity that intruding molars is so difficult. I need about
2 to 3 mm of intrusion, my ortho is doing that since september last year and I gained
... nothing. That is why I will keep following your progress. My experience about this
is not that good up to now because I need intrusion of all back teeth, all molars and
even my second premolars. Anyway, I think you handled this very well. And your
ortho understood this very well. You have every right to protest, certainly if there
are other ways to reach the goal. And in your case probably even a better, yet slower
method. Best of luck !

gabi

#6 Post by gabi »

I have been a non-compliant patient because my ortho wouldn't talk to me about my treatment. At least you understood what the ortho was doing and made a decision. It is great that your ortho is willing to work with you. I have an appt in a few weeks where I am going to get answers about my treatment.
It did occur to me that maybe the ortho knows that since we are adult patients, the less we know, the less we can argue. Unfortunatley, this just makes me hostile.

dubnobass

#7 Post by dubnobass »

gabi wrote: It did occur to me that maybe the ortho knows that since we are adult patients, the less we know, the less we can argue. Unfortunatley, this just makes me hostile.
I don't think this is the case at all. I think most orthodontists treat patients who haven't got a CLUE what their treatment involves, and who don't care/aren't interested, either. If they're not scientifically minded, you could tell them and they still wouldn't understand, or care. The people on this board are an unusually informed minority!
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

Filip

#8 Post by Filip »

SandraJ

RESPECT

It is indeed your body and your decision. Always.

(Just make sure you discuss it with your OD).

Good luck

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

Spanner

#9 Post by Spanner »

Yep I agree there dubnobass. I told my partner that I was joining a braces forum and he said "what for? not another forum" whilst rolling his eyes at me lol. But he knows that I'm the type of person that researches anything I do as fully as I possibly can...many people don't bother, including I'm sure braces wearers.

As an example I love dogs, I have 2 at present and over the years I have educated myself in canine behaviour/training and psychology to a fairly high standard. But I have many casual aquaintances that I meet on my daily dog walks and not one of them has (or has demonstrated to me) the same level of knowledge that I have because it doesn't interest them to learn.

Filip

#10 Post by Filip »

Spanner

Three words:

THE DOG WHISPERER

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07