Slenderizing...interproximal tooth reduction ....?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yaya2023

Slenderizing...interproximal tooth reduction ....?

#1 Post by yaya2023 »

I am 6 months into my treatment and today the ortho did some IPR between my top centrals and on both side of my lower centrals. My question is during which part of the treatment is it "normal" to get IPR. I asked my ortho about this in the 2nd month and he said it would be towards the end of treatment... not to worry about it for a while. Could this mean my teeth are progressing quickly? I know its a stretch but any input from those of you who have had it would be nice :)

Lala7603

#2 Post by Lala7603 »

i had that done in the middle and towards the end of my first time in braces. this time around, i had it done when i got the braces on. but im only in braces for a few months.....

i know that i had it done because there would have been no where for my teeth to move otherwise. i got that done to all bottom 6 teeth and a few upper teeth. it made room rather nicely.

SMiles
LALA
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

yaya2023

#3 Post by yaya2023 »

thanks all :) I feel really gappy right now.. so im trying not to look in the mirror to much.... its for a greater good i know :)

TsuKata

#4 Post by TsuKata »

I'm sure that, like a number of other things, it depends on each individual's treatment plan. The system I'm using (6 month braces) uses IPR as a fundamental part of treatment, and I've had a little IPR at both of my past two adjustments. Specifically, I had a bicuspid removed on the upper right side to make room for my canine to drop down, but my midline is a bit off in the other direction, so my dentist is doing some IPR on the left side to help shift things around and get me centered.

I suspect some cases will require IPR early to make room for movement while others will need it later in process, only once the existing movement shows that it's needed. And then, I'm sure there are cases where it happens in the middle as you move some teeth out of the way and expose others that need a little reduction.
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

Chloe1

#5 Post by Chloe1 »

My ortho said he would do slenderizing as treatment progress if my profile became too "full". I also took this to mean later in treatment. Hmm, maybe you are moving right along. I doubt your spaces will take long to close.

Clairey Fairey

#6 Post by Clairey Fairey »

My teeth pulled out into alignment first and then IPR was done to create gaps to pull the teeth in, straight. It was probably about half way through. Thats if I my de-brace date remains the same!!

Clairey Fairey

#7 Post by Clairey Fairey »

My teeth were pulled out into alignment first and then IPR was done to create gaps to pull the teeth in, straight. It was probably about half way through. Thats if I my de-brace date remains the same!!

yaya2023

#8 Post by yaya2023 »

ok... little bit about me... I had a quad helix for 3 months... teeth were pretty much aligned and he did the IPR to reduce my black triangles. Thank you all for the responses. I was told 18 months so I'm ready to go 24. I'm 6 months in so I'm not really trying to end my sentence early... I dont want to get my hopes up haha. But really thanks all :)

cally

#9 Post by cally »

Did it take care of the triangles, Yaya?

I have some issues with that as well, due primarily to hypereruption of upper incisors due to overbite/overjet. I'm too chicken to ask how he's going to address that issue because I'm afraid I'll hear, "Oh, it can't be fixed." LOL

Cally

HeyTeach

#10 Post by HeyTeach »

I've had one tooth done with each adjustment as things come into line. The amount has been minimal and very effective.

yaya2023

#11 Post by yaya2023 »

well right now I'm still s p a c e d o u t but my ortho assured me the triangle between my upper centrals will completely close. The lowers are going to be diminished but might not completey close. Im in powerchains so hopefully by next month I'll be able to see the results.

cally

#12 Post by cally »

Thanks, Yaya! Good luck and I hope they turn out just right!