What Kind Of Bite Is this Called?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Spanner

What Kind Of Bite Is this Called?

#1 Post by Spanner »

I'm researching my problems thoroughly before my consultation next week but I'm not sure what kind of bite I have. I know the picture isn't clear but as you can see my top front teeth completely cover my bottom teeth and actually dig right into my gums causing soreness and recession. Apart from the crookedness this is the main problem that needs sorting as my dentist said I will lose my front bottom teeth in time because the roots are already showing.

Is this called an overbite or deep bite. Thanks.

dubnobass

#2 Post by dubnobass »

That is a class II malocclusion with deep (complete) overbite. It's what I had. In my case, I needed braces and surgery to correct it. It's verrrry common in Brits, or so I have been told.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

ilovemacs

#3 Post by ilovemacs »

I agree with everything dubnobass has said in the above post! :D

Spanner

#4 Post by Spanner »

Thanks, I had a feeling surgery was gonna be mentioned. Do they make the bottom jaw longer or the top jaw shorter or is it a whole lot more complicated than that?....hmmmm i'm sure it is lol but i'm already getting anxious at the thought of having my jaw cut open.

Sorry I'm a worrier, I shouldn't be thinking like this when I haven't even had the consultation yet :roll:

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

Please don't worry about surgery. If it's needed it'll be mentioned at your consult. Good Luck! :D

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?t=22540&highlight=jernigan+deep+bite (thanks again Meryaten)

There are different ways of opening up a deep bite and not all of them involve surgery. There's a lot of other factors to consider.

It looks to me as if matters aren't being helped in your case by your missing bottom molars. Your top molars now haven't got anything to rest on so there's nothing to stop your top jaw biting down too far.

Spanner

#7 Post by Spanner »

Thanks for the link Lisa.

This bit sounds like me... ("Finally, some folks have deepbites b/c the entire maxilla or upper jaw has grown dow too far in the front. These folks have gummy smiles and are candidtaes for upper intrusion and sometimes jaw suery (option #4) to impact the upper jaw and reduce the overbite. Also shortening the long face.")

...because when I smile all my top gum is showing a lot, particularly if I laugh...I normally cover my face if I can't stop laughing not because I hate my teeth because I don't want people to see all my gums..yuk lol.

I do have a few gaps because of extractions down the bottom plus some of the molars point inwards and my top molars bite on the sides of them instead of the proper place. I have top teeth that are starting to fall out (but not loose) because they have nothing below to stop them.

I'm not afraid of surgery just afraid of my face changing...i like it the way it is.

rsprouse

#8 Post by rsprouse »

dubnobass wrote:That is a class II malocclusion with deep (complete) overbite. It's what I had. In my case, I needed braces and surgery to correct it. It's verrrry common in Brits, or so I have been told.
There is no way to tell from the picture if it is indeed a class II malocclusion. Although with that extreme of an overbite, you are likely correct. If the OP goes through with treatment the before/after pics will likely be crazy!

Best,
Rory

Spanner

#9 Post by Spanner »

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm not going to think about it anymore and just wait and see what he says on Wednesday because I'm getting myself all anxious at the range of possible things that might have to happen. All of which make me feel weak at the knees at the moment. :crazy:

Have a lovely weekend everyone

cosmicgirl

#10 Post by cosmicgirl »

Spanner - sometimes ignorance is bliss! It's good to be informed, but only when the information is happy news!
You may be surprised and find the procedure won't involve surgery, but if you have to take that route, be brave. You'll probably become less anxious with every visit to the ortho and when the time comes, you'll take surgery in your stride. You'll have super teeth at the end of it and you won't have problems later on in life.
Best of British on Wednesday! :HugeGrin: