Has anyone had to be there own orthodontist?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mjbusch

Has anyone had to be there own orthodontist?

#1 Post by mjbusch »

I just wanted to see if anyone ever had to be there own orthodontist. I get to have my chance in a month in half. Some claim it is the most painful procedure when having braces. That's right I will have to put in my own spacers for my lower braces. I will have to put in 4 altogether a week before I get braces. I am sure I will be successful, but I just wanted to see if I am the only one.

Zondrae

#2 Post by Zondrae »

why do you have to put your own spacers in? :?:

mjbusch

#3 Post by mjbusch »

Well I need to get molar bands and also my orthodontist is 280 miles away. So it would be a waste of a trip just to go get spacers a week before braces. Don't worry I have already been trained how to do it.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I've clipped my own archwire once or twice and also replaced a spacer that I had pulled out while flossing (forgot the spacer was there), but my crowning DIY acheivement so far has been removing one of my own micro-screw implants with a jeweller's screwdriver. :oops:

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

I haven't yet, and probably won't. I may or may not be doing a co-operative education next year at my ortho's. I don't think they'd let me change my ligatures or anything. I don't know what I may be doing there yet. :D

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I Woulden't want to be my own orthodontist unless I was certified and trained to do so.... that way if something went wrong I would be able to blame the others then myself :)

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I've been my own ortho as well as my daughter's!

All with the approval of the orthos and dentist.

I've clipped the end of my archwire twice, closed a bracket that openned while I was 300 miles from home.

I clipped an elastic thread that was closing gaps in my daughter's lower arch, and I spent an hour or so with a scaler and cleaned up the over abundence of flash from around her brackets (dentist insisted I do this).

All done with the professional's instructions. NO HARM done to any of us. :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

mjbusch

#8 Post by mjbusch »

I guess my little experience won't be that big of a deal. Nothing like pulling out a implant or cutting wires or elastics.

I will have to ask my orthodontist about a bracket that was reglued on. It seems that isn't in the center of the tooth like the rest and I am worried the tooth won't rotate where it needs to be. Also I am getting a new appliance when I go to my next appointment.

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

All I've done is tuck in a bit of archwire ...did it with the edge of my nail scissors. If my archwire starts poking my cheek and it's near Friday or Saturday when my ortho works, I'm supposed to go in and see her. If not, she said not to wait and go to the dentist as he can do it. ( she works out of my dentist's practice so no charge).

My ortho has just done her own treatment..but guess she knows what she's doing! I don't trust myself to do anything to my braces!

Lala7603

#10 Post by Lala7603 »

i guess all ive dont is put my archwire back into the bracket in the back. oh and i did the same to my brother once. thats when i decided he wasnt brushing enough because i wanted to kill him after having my face near his mouth.....i went out and got him a big thing of mouthwash....lol

but overall...nothing spectacular. My ortho's office is 10-15 mins from where i live, so i just go there if i need something

SMIles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008