Gin. Hyperplasia / Folate or Chlorhexidine Mouthwash

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fangsmcgee

Gin. Hyperplasia / Folate or Chlorhexidine Mouthwash

#1 Post by fangsmcgee »

I'm having my gingivectomy this weekend and I'm scheduled only for 4 teeth on the bottom but i want the periodontist to do all the bottom teeth because they're just out of control. My gums cover all the teeth all the way up to the brackets. I was reading online that use of Folate / Folic acid mouth wash is beneficial as is Chlorhexidine mouthwash but my question is:
Is there anything that will cause the gums to recede outside of the gingivectomy? Have others who have had this procedure think its possible to do all the bottom teeth at once or does the procedure take a long time?
This whole thing is infuriating. I almost wish I didn't get braces. Could this have to do with the fact that I had 4 extractions prior to my braces?

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Has the cause been identified?

I know that certain medicines can cause overgrowth of the gums.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Correct, Dilantin (an anti-seizure medication) is one of the most well known meds that will cause gingival hyperplasia. How is your home care? A gingevectomy is often times a good solution, just make sure you do a great job of home care and regular recall visits. Chlorohexidine works well if the cause is bacterial.

Good Luck,
Rory