Hi Everybody -- Reintroduction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

browneyedgrl

Hi Everybody -- Reintroduction

#1 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Everybody,

I introduced myself about 8 months ago and I I've already been down the braces road before (got them off 25 years ago) and have noticed some relaspe over the years, and I've developed TMJ as well. I did look into treatment about 8 years ago and went for two consults, one ortho suggested wearing a retainer( to hold what I currently had) and the other suggested upper braces for about 6 months and retention, for an outragous fee and I decided to pass at the time.

Well I finally went for a consult and I'm getting upper ceramic and lower metal braces on January 10. Expected treatment time 12 months.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Irisheyes

Hi browneyedgirl

#2 Post by Irisheyes »

I'm new today to join. Got braces Oct 22. First adjustment is tomorrow. I chose the same configuration as you are getting. Ceramic (white) on top, and metal on bottom. My bottom teeth don't show as much, so this is fine with me. I think it kept the cost a little more reasonable. DH sent check and I am not to worry about the cost. I'm 59 and have worried enough. My job is to follow Orth Docs orders and end up witha pretty straight smile...as I charge onward to a big birthday in Jan. The birthdays seem to keep on coming - whether we are ready & smiling or not - so might as well be set. AFTER braces are off, :) I will have upper retainer and lower permanent ? not sure what, behind the front 4 teeth. I best bring a notebook to the dentist to write down all this stuff. Everyone seems so well informed about their treatments,,,,,i'm lagging there. Well, welcome to you and best of luck with your installation in January. My tretment time is 10-12 months and I have begun the countdown. have a good week :wink:

mardziewall

welcome

#3 Post by mardziewall »

:-1 hi and welcome to archwired

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Irisheyes,

I went for my consult last week and when the new patient coordinator called me back and we started talking I suddenly noticed that she had braces. She started asking me questions about my teeth and I told her and then I asked her about how long she'd been in for and she told me almost a year and she was getting them off next month. She made me feel so at ease during the consult. I didn't know what to expect when the ortho came in or what he was going to find. I know that I had some relaspe and I wasn't happy with my teeth when I got my braces off the first time, but what does a 14 year old know. Anyway, besides a couple of shifted teeth, my midlines were off and my right rear teeth were class three( that totally got me by suprise) I also have TMJ as well. So my treatment will be full upper and lower braces and elastics for 12 months.
When I got my treatment recommendation letter in the mail 2 days later, I had a ton of questions and I just decided to go for it and set my appointment.

I hear ya on the big birthdays, I have one in April I can't believe it!

I can't wait to start the journey!!!

browneyedgrl

#5 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi mardziewall,

Thank You!!!

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

Thanks Karen,

I hope so. At this point I just want the holidays to be over and get started. I hope that I don't chicken out between now and then...LOL! :)

browneyedgrl

#7 Post by browneyedgrl »

Thanks Karen,

Seven plus weeks is a long time. I would have started sooner, but I have to wait until my FSA kicks in which is in January.

I will enjoy all the no-no things right now, which the new patient coordinator told me to do!

Have a great day!!! :D

LadyJ

#8 Post by LadyJ »

Hi and welcome!

There are several of us starting at the first of the year, for insurance/FSA reasons.

Let's live it up until then! :D
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

To all of you celebrating a January B(races)-day:
Congrats on starting the journey or taking the journey a second time. In many ways getting through the first month will be the hardest. If this is your second time, you will be amazed at how much easier it is now than it was "then." Remember always that treatment will hopefully make a positive improvement for the rest of your life.

Take pictures pre braces. As soon as you have brackets take pictures as soon as you can. When you get disgusted with the process, look at the progress shown in those pictures. Even after a couple of weeks or a month, they’ll give you great encouragement.

Welcome to the board. Whatever you do in this process try to have fun. Maintaining a positive attitude truly will make this a good experience instead of a treatment to tolerate.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

browneyedgrl

#10 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi LadyJ,

Thank you!!! I guess it's time to party up on carmel, gum and all those good things that we're going have to give up for awhile.

Nothing like a January B-day!!!

browneyedgrl

#11 Post by browneyedgrl »

Thanks Mike,

The journey the second time will definitely be interesting. My kids be shocked!!! I think that this time will be overwhelming. When I got my braces back in 1981, I only wore metal brackets on top with 2 molar bands for about 18 months. My bottom teeth were perfect. This time it's the whole kit and kaboodle at once, but I'll have ceramics on top and metal on the bottom with no bands so there is some trade off. No spacers, YEAH!!! I'm also going to be wearing elastics for most of my treatment as well.

I will definitely be taking pictures and tracking my progress. I can't wait to see the changes.

Browneyedgrl