Changing Orthos - NOT by choice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

Changing Orthos - NOT by choice

#1 Post by gunter8888 »

I got a letter in the mail on Saturday notifying me that my current ortho, Dr. W is "pursuing other professional interests" and that the practice has been taken over by Dr. C. The letter went on to introduce the new ortho, his background, etc. Needless to say, I was rather stunned and very disappointed. I have 3-4 months left in my treatment and I hate to have a change so close to the end.

I called the office this morning to reschedule an appointment and chatted with the office manager for a few moments. She said Dr. W had decided to move to Oregon and become a partner in a practice there. She spoke higly of Dr. C and tried to reassure me that I would like Dr. C. While I appreciate her efforts, I am still very wary and very disappointed.

I have an adjustment scheduled for Wednesday morning. I guess I find out how good Dr. C is tomorrow. For now, I am pretty bummed about it.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. :shock: Let's hope all the best with your new ortho!! :D

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Change is tough, and once you build a relationship with a healthcare provider that you trust it is very difficult to move on. It is only fair to give the new Doc a chance. There are some people out there that would sell a practice to anyone with a pulse. But most people are very interested in the care of their patients. One day when I am ready to move on and sell a practice, I will make sure that whomever buys the practice will take very good care of my patients and provide them with the best care possible. Consider the situation like your scope of treatment is beyond your ortho's skill set and you were referred out to somebody that he trusts. It is tough being "the new guy", but I always appreciate it when a patient gives me a chance to prove my capabilities in taking care of them to the best of my ability. On the other hand, I don't take it personally if they are not interested in me. You gotta do what is best for you, but if you had faith in your ortho then continue and trust that his stand in will take care of you in the same manner.

Best,
Rory

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

Met Dr. C this morning. I was a bit aprehensive, but I think that is understandable. After seeing Dr. W every 4-6 weeks for the past 14 months there was a good raport there.

I was a little concerned when I arrived right on time for my 7am appointment and they notified me that Dr. C was running late. Not the best of first impressions. They later explained that he was two cars behind a car that had struck a pedestrian and he stopped to assist. Can't fault a guy for helping an injured person, right?

Once I got in the chair and he arrived everything went great! He is very personable. In fact, more communicative than Dr. W ever was. He also seemed every bit as competent as Dr. W; perhaps a little more aggressive in his treatment. Dr. W always seemed very conservative even when I told him I had no pain/issues.

The other thing I noticed is that the staff all seemed happier. Maybe there was something in the air today (Halloween), but I tend to think that the new Dr has lightened the mood in the office and that's a good sign.

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments and advice.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Well right on! Glad you went to visit Dr. C and seems that things may just come up roses! Glad you won't have to change orthos in the last leg of your treatment!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

ilovemacs

#6 Post by ilovemacs »

Yay! I'm happy for you!! Even though he was running late, he had good reason though! Glad the office was in a perky mood! Good luck finishing treatment!! :D :banana:

smallbutmighty

#7 Post by smallbutmighty »

How great that you are off to a good start with the new ortho. I bet you will be happier in the long run. :)
It's all in how you see yourself!

Delag

#8 Post by Delag »

I agree with Rory that in a in a situation like this you have to give the new guy a chance and trust that you first doctor is responsibly choosing his/her replacement. The issue I have (or would have if it were me) is the way it was done. I would not like to be informed by letter, rather a personal comment from the doctor with a reassurance that the new guy was hand picked, well trained, top of his class....whatever. Maybe even have the new guy in the office to meet people during his last month there. I am glad that you like the new ortho and that is seems like the office staff do as well - always a good sign.