9 months in - started Elastics & Extraction Gap closure

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JoviFan

9 months in - started Elastics & Extraction Gap closure

#1 Post by JoviFan »

Well, I've officially joined the Elastic club now - 'Green Monsters' it says on the bag! LOL Have to wear all the time except when I eat/brush.

They go from my upper canines to my lower 2nd molars.....(holding off on my 1st molars for now....cuz I just got my 'swallowed' bracket replaced today too and it was a small wire. SO, they put a thicker wire from 2nd molar to 2nd molar.... (although it's almost more irratating to my cheek w/o the wire attached to the bracket :( ) Doc wanted to start working on my extraction gaps...

Also - have power chains under AND over my upper wire :shock:

What an adjustment! LOL

They also, for the very first time, mentioned that I *may* need a tpa or nuance if my molars start moving too much.....??? This is the first I've heard of this for me......I hate that they don't tell you ALL the possibilities from day one !!! If I understood correctly, the tpa/nuance would help keep my upper molars in position - right?

She says I have atleast a year to go....prob longer :( :( Maybe my gaps will close reasonably quickly and keep it to a year! fingers crossed ;)

I got navy wire ties on the lowers today - keeping with smoke on top with my ceramics..

I go back in 5 weeks to have the molars checked!

I'm hoping the next bunch of days aren't tooo unbearable!!! Gonna go eat now, while its not! :)

Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#2 Post by JoviFan »

Well, I'm expecting the worst the next few days! and hoping for better! LOL After I had my lowers on about a month ago, by day 4 I was in tears just trying to eat rice krispie cereal ! !
and already the rubber bands are aggrevating my cheek :( So, I'll be starting back on the salt water rinses again! :)

I may end up having to get cleanings more than every 6 months while in braces, the assistant today said I have some tarter on a few of the bottom teeth (although I thought it was left over glue/cement, since the girl didn't seem to do a great job of getting rid of 'the overflow' when she put on my bottoms)...??? I've only been in them like a month - I hope it's not tarter!!!I go beginning of Jan. right now, unless something changes....
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#3 Post by JoviFan »

Thanks Meryaten & Karen! You guys make it seem sooo easy!!! I'll try and work on the water intake, I've never been a big drinker throughout the day - I'm lucky if I get 24 oz in . :shock:

question, how often did/do you change your elastics each day - the assistant said atleast once....but is that enough?

btw - I was able to scrape a little of the 'tartar' away with a dentapick! So I'll just have to try harder and prob use a proxy brush more often! Boy, these things can be alot of work! LOL --- I think it's even harder for me cuz my teeth are so little :(

JoviFan

#4 Post by JoviFan »

ok - will work on the water thing!!! the 'pit stops' as Meryaten put it are a pain! LOL
boy, what a night - I hardly slept - my mouth is sore !!!!!!! An upper tooth was/is hitting a lower bracket :( :( and nothing is touching on the left side :shock: I know, in time that too will change, atleast I hope so! and yes, the corner of my mouth is getting a little sore too.....oh well, welcome to the world of elastics! LOL
and yes, I keep telling myself it'll all be worth it in the end!!!
:)

JoviFan

#5 Post by JoviFan »

ok = trying to drink more H2o, but these rubber bands are irritating my cheeks!!!! and I have 2 small 'ulcer like' sores on my inner lower lip, one on each side, pretty much where my bracket hooks are :( :(
I've been busy at work the last 2 days - and I do alot of phones and talking to clients ---- keep saying 'my gums/cheeks' WILL toughen up ! and am silent when I get home for a couple hours ! LOL
yikes...............