I feel lucky...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesRacer

I feel lucky...

#1 Post by BracesRacer »

Well today I went in for another adjustment, this one involved more changes and took longer than my typical adjustment... They put in a stainless steel wire on the top (I have had one on the bottom for two months) and did power chains on the top and bottom (have had them on the bottom but not the top).

Anyway.. I went home to get some pain medicine so I could eat at work tonight (I knew it was gonna hurt) and I just happened to see my smile in the mirror and I was just amazed that it was MY smile... anyone experience this? I just finally feel like I have a beautiful smile and I never thought my smile could ever look so good! It was a great feeling and I can't wait until they come off and I can see my whole smile. I read a lot of complaints and I complain myself but every once in awhile you just need to step back and realize how lucky we are. I'm so happy that I finally had the money to get braces and the courage to go through it all... its not an easy process thats for sure and thats going to make me appreciate my smile even more when I'm all done.

I wanted to share my experience on here because I am sure a lot of you on here feel the same way I do... I just love my smile! Even with braces its so pretty now... I love it! :D

Cleobabe

#2 Post by Cleobabe »

It is so great to see a post like this :D I can't wait til I can look in the mirror and have nice straight teeth (even with braces on)
Thanks for the positive thoughts about braces. It makes me feel much better about getting them put on :D

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

This is awesome. Thank you for sharing your excitement. Glad to hear that you are seeing such great progress!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Clairey Fairey

#4 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yeah I can understand how that feels, I'm starting to feel like that too now my teeth are straight. Still along way to go till the end but to see the smile I always wanted, in my own mouth, is amazing!!

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Racer, I have exactly the same feeling when I look in the mirror. Although my teeth still stick out loads, they are so lovely and straight compared to how they were, and when I catch sight of myself in the mirror, I can't stop grinning and admiring my beautiful (to me anyway) smile!

I just saw my mum for the first time since Christmas and she said my teeth looked wonderful, and she wished hers looked like that. :D

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

I know EXACTLY how you feel.
I can actually see teeth when I smile which I couldn't a year ago.
I actually would get in vacation photos this year instead of hiding behind the camera.
I ACTUALLY LOVE THE PROCESS because I can see the progress.

Yes there's been a few days of slight pain but there's a lifetime of smiles ahead.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

SnowSara

#7 Post by SnowSara »

I agree whole-heartedly. I think back to when the ortho showed me my teeth on his computer and how they would look, and I couldn't believe that that would be me. With my last couple of adjustments my gaps have all closed and look pretty much like that digital model. I can't believe the teeth in the mirror are mine!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

regulering17

#8 Post by regulering17 »

I know isn't it great!:D
I never smiled with my teeth, and when I get my braces off I guess I will, for the very first time(or at least in a very long time), without worrying about how my teeth look. :)

PARR

#9 Post by PARR »

I agree 100%. I'm just starting out but already there is a difference. I've always been a smiling fool, so you know I'm gonna be flashing my teefs when all is done.

BracesRacer

#10 Post by BracesRacer »

I knew there were a lot of people like me on the board :) Like many of you I was so self conscious of my smile before braces... i would never let the muscles just smile like they should I always held back... and I really did forget how to smile after awhile... my smiles would always look awkward and posed and now... its just another world. I walk around smiling as big as I can like an idiot all the time. And its really changed how I interact with people... people think i am more friendly and easy to approach and have more fun hanging out with me. Before braces i was still a nice guy but people thought i was not as nice as I am and fun to be around. These things have changed my whole life around and they are not even off yet!

Oh... in case any of you have not figured this out... the FUNNEST pose to do in the mirror is the 300 scream.

You get to see all your sparkley straight teeth and how level they are too (i love how they are stright AND level... its great)... Go ahead try it I can almost guarantee you'll start doing it all the time... then pretty soon your gonna be yelling "This is SPAAARTAA"... thats how everyone knows I am in the bathroom :P

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I needed that!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.