Root Resorption symptoms please?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

unimaginative

Root Resorption symptoms please?

#1 Post by unimaginative »

I have spent so long in braces now (over 4 years in total) with probably another year or so to go that I am worried about the potential of root resorption.

Can someone explain the symptoms to me please?
Do teeth just fall out or do you end up with headaches etc.
Tried to google it, but no joy.

unimaginative

#2 Post by unimaginative »

Aww. Thanks for your concern.

I am in a non english speaking country so its taking me a while to get my bearings. But I have appointments booked for second opinions from recommended ortho's (and schools of dentistry) and I am feeling a bit better about things now. But the appointments are now a month away.

I think I will switch dentists, wether my current ortho reimburses me or not for the extra costs. I am sick with worry and I havnt even been sleeping properly. My only concern is that even if I am willing to switch, it may be too late to sort things out....but.....I guess there is no point worrying about what may never happen.

Just keep your fingers crossed for me.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Radiographic diagnosis is the only way to determine if you are experiencing root resorption. It is very uncommon so I wouldn't worry about it. Teeth really just don't fall out. I have seen many a tooth "flapping in the breeze" with virtually no bone surrounding it and it still did not just fall out. As far as symptoms of root resorption it depends on if it is internal or external and you will likely have no outward symptoms. This is one of the reasons why it is always good to have regular check ups with your dentist. Good call on the second opinion, your sanity is worth a lot more than any amount of money for additional ortho treatment.

Good Luck,
Rory

SandraJones

#4 Post by SandraJones »

Hmmm, I did a 'net search on "root resorption" and I'm finding tons of info. Hit #2 was this article about orthodontically induced inflammatory root resorption from angle.org:

http://www.angle.org/anglonline/?reques ... &page=0175
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

unimaginative

#5 Post by unimaginative »

Most of the info on Google (inc the link you posted) on resorption seems to relate to the causes of it. As my question here states, I am looking for more info on its effects, should the worst happen ie is it a fallen tooth or some deeper far reaching complications.

Rickysa

#6 Post by Rickysa »

Incipient resorption will show no symptoms....severe resorption (greater than 2/3 of the root) will show mobility...not the normal tiny movement that teeth in ortho treatment will often show, but quite wiggly.

Get a panorex done...or look at the latest one done. Your doc probably has done one within the last 6 months or so prior to your deband date. It will show any resorption.

Worst case is that it a tooth with severe resorption may need to be stabilized (bonded to adjacent teeth, or a lingual bonded wire). If you have had significant resorption, but the tooth isn't hyper-mobile (flapping in the breeze), the only concern is future bone loss due to poor hygiene....keep your teeth clean and the tooth will be fine.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

grinning

#7 Post by grinning »

My husband ended up with external root resorbtion on one of his front teeth that we were told was due to trauma when he was young (I think a puck in the face). The tooth was long since dead and was greying so he decided to have a veneer on it for appearances. Then around three or four years later (when his next panoramic was due) the root resorbtion showed up. He had no clue - no wiggly tooth or anything, and at that point he was told it was already too late to save the tooth. Never got a second opinion on that, now I'm wondering if perhaps the pulling of it and the implant were premature??

Anyhoo... guess I'm just trying to say no symptoms!

unimaginative

#8 Post by unimaginative »

THanks Dr.S.
That actually doesnt sound too bad. (I know that sounds wierd, but I wasnt sure if it would cause something seemingly unrelated like back aches or vertigo or something)