Got my braces today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

freakyteeth

Got my braces today!

#1 Post by freakyteeth »

I got my braces today and I"m doing really well.

I even feel good enough to hit the gym tonight.

The TPS fitted to my back bands was not a good fit, so they are remaking it. BOnus! No TPA.

Everything else went smoothly. I am suprised I was able to eat though.

SO exciting.... I did wimp out and get the silver colored tie thingies though.

cwatt1

#2 Post by cwatt1 »

Congratulations, Freakyteeth, on your b-day! I'm glad things went so well for you. Be sure and treat yourself well the next few days; you may be a little sore and tender (but you knew that, right?) -- salt water rinses, good hydration, lots of wax if you need it to prevent sores, and try and chew even if your teeth hurt a little -- it increases blood flow and will aid the soreness in passing that much more quickly.

Here's to a great journey for you! :-88

Click here to read about my progress.

Caseym

#3 Post by Caseym »

Hey you were braced the day after me :D Im feeling really good as well! Have you taken any pics?

freakyteeth

#4 Post by freakyteeth »

When my husband finally gets home from work --- I am going to have to take some snaps. TO be frank however, he's not very good at it.

freakyteeth

#5 Post by freakyteeth »

Two brackets fell off last night. Back again.

freakyteeth

#6 Post by freakyteeth »

My teeth really don't hurt. Actually.... they feel .. itchy! Like getting in there with a good floss would help.

I have horrific mouth sore spots that are bloody. I am doing the salt rinse and it does help - you guys are great. I am also using tons of wax.

The big problem is that I have a molar and a cuspid, missing two teeth, the front four, two missing teeth. The archwire is chopped into segments and the parts without teeth are catching on my cheeks really badly. I am going to go and see if they can do anything if it is still bothering me next week.

When I had braces before I had one archwire that went through the spots with no teeth and it was much less bothersome than these segments.

SandraJones

#7 Post by SandraJones »

Freaky, definitely take pictures at regular intervals to document your progress. I've had my braces on for 31 days now, have taken 3 sets of pictures and I'm amazed at how much my teeth have moved already. It helps to keep me motivated ! :-) Congrats on your big day ! I hope everything goes smoothly and you're thrilled with the result.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

cosmicgirl

Got my braces yesterday!

#8 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hello! What a wonderful site - I don't feel so alone now!
I had 2 dental plates when I was 11 (35 years ago) and although they made a lot of difference at the time, my teeth now resemble a panful of chips (or French Fries to you lovely people over the Pond). They look awful- all wonky and different heights. They made me feel SO inferior! So, after my daughter was braced up last autumn, I decided to bite the bullet too and have my smile fixed.
I had the spacers put on last Sat - absolute agony. The only relief was to down Bacardi and Cokes as soon as I came home from work (5pm!!) Of course I can't drink without a snack - nuts were out, so I tried some tortilla chips, which I am ashamed to say I had to dunk into my B&C to soften up... not a pretty sight.
The braces went on yesterday - ceramic jobs - and they are MONSTERS. But I don't care. At least they are not as uncomfortable as those ghastly little rubber rings. Wire is poking into my cheeks, everything is so sensitive, I have lost my appetite (which is FAB! At last!), I can't talk as much as usual and I am now poverty striken.... But I WILL HAVE STRAIGHT TEETH. I WILL BE LIKE JULIA ROBERTS. I WILL NO LONGER LOOK LIKE A BRITISH POP STAR CIRCA 1971!!!!!! It WILL be worth it I'm sure - I hope so. Having looked at your photo gallery, I hope I will also be a success story!

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Dunking tortilla chips in bacardi & coke.....that conjures up one hell of an image!

I missed the spacers' experience which, from most accounts, is the worst in doing braces. Yeah, ceramics can appear big at first, but you'll get used to the "look".

As for loss of appetite, sadly - or perhaps not so sadly - this lasted all of two weeks in my case. Once I regained my confidence, it was open slather at the trough.

Sounds like your sense of humour is going to be a great asset in your journey, cosmicgirl.

Andantae

#10 Post by Andantae »

Freaky teeth~ Congrats on your brace day!Lucky you-no TPA! I have mine for the whole duration. :(

Cosmic Girl~ I am so impressed with your impartiality and willingness to explore alternative tortilla dunking options. Very resourceful, indeed! Why let a little excess moisture stand between you and a bowl full of perfectly delicious tortilla chips? Well done CG!

Andi
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

L1ittleMissMeeba

#11 Post by L1ittleMissMeeba »

Freaky Teeth-

Hang in there! It sounds like all is well, aside from the typical 'new braces' issues. Use all the wax you can, and, like you said, check with the Ortho if the irritation does not get better. Sometimes cheeck and gums just need to develop some scar tissue.

ComsicGirl-

Your post cracked me up :) Tortilla chips w. rum and Coke. Quite interesting, to say the least. Congrats on starting the journey towards a gorgeous smile!

cosmicgirl

#12 Post by cosmicgirl »

lionfish ~ It's not going to take me two weeks! Appetite now back with a vengeance and am now pureeing any food that is neither ice cream nor Angel Delight - a British synthetic pudding crammed with E numbers (possibly) that comes in powder form and has to be whisked up with milk to make a frothy fluffy mush YUMMY

I have finally tracked down my daughter's dental wax - I left my brand new "Dental Survival Pack" at work on Friday - doh! (And didn't think it would matter... double doh!) I can't tell you the relief! My cheeks had been ripped to ribbons with the sharp ends of the wire. Now gradually beginning to feel normal. Just the teeth aching now... hey ho! Only two hours to go to B&C time...

Choppers

#13 Post by Choppers »

"Here's to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

:-88

cosmicgirl

#14 Post by cosmicgirl »

I'll drink to that Choppers! CHEERS!! :lol: