PLEASE HELP ME depressed,crying in PAIN I want them off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pepper

#16 Post by Pepper »

It's really not that bad..

idolfan4

#17 Post by idolfan4 »

awwww.....I'm sorry, sweetheart. I felt the same way when I first got my braces. I was in so much pain. I hated my braces so much that I just wanted them off. The best thing you can do is take pain relievers and maybe apply an ice pack or a hot water bottle to your cheeks. And remember to stick to soft foods for a while. I hope everything gets better for you.

katmc_tx

#18 Post by katmc_tx »

I also felt the same way, I just wanted them OFF!!!!! I even had a dream that I called my ortho and told her to TAKE THEM OFF!!!

Its now been 19 months and I'm not going to lie, I'm still getting "used to them." But it does get better after a while. I'd say to give it another couple of weeks and see how you feel.

Hope you feel better really soon and good luck with your decision.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

wirerose

#19 Post by wirerose »

Hey there,
I just got my lowers on today after having my uppers on for the past three months. I remember the first five minutes thinking, "What the heck was I thinking!" I couldn't really chew anything, I was thinking I wouldn't eat for the next two years. The flossing and little gadgets and instructions were confusing and TIME CONSUMING.

I had forgotten how awkward it all was on the first day until I got my lowers put on today. Now I can totally feel how much I got used to my uppers over the past three months. These bottoms don't feel like they belong in my mouth, they feel wierd, they hurt, and I am clumsily finding out how to brush and eat around them.

But I am relieved because I can think back on how quickly I figured it all out. No one knows me better than I do, just like no one knows you and what you are capable of better than you do. You are smart and stronger and can figure this out, too. Sometimes we don't give ourselves credit for what we can do.

What makes me really love my braces is looking at and feeling what they have already done for my teeth in such a short amount of time. I can't believe how much of a difference they have made in three months. Not only that, but you sound like you are going to do a great job with keeping them clean! I was worried about it, but both my ortho and my oral hygenist said I am doing a great job keeping them clean! If you want to see pics of my progress after only three months, do a search for my name: wirerose and click the first result. It says pics, wow and something...lol.

Good luck and keep coming back here for support! The company and caring is really wonderful on this board. They have helped me every time I was worried or frustrated. Someone ALWAYS responds.

freakyteeth

#20 Post by freakyteeth »

I am a big "panic" person. After I had just my 'spacers' put in, I wanted to rip them out and call it quits.

Can you get a prescription for a low dose valium or something? It seriously does help :) for short term pain and anxiety. Also Ibuprofen vs. other pain killers really helped me.

redheadlady

#21 Post by redheadlady »

Britt-what are you going to do?? sorry to hear you are hurting so much.

valster

#22 Post by valster »

Britt, I really feel for you. Mine hurt too, and I had extractions and that was painful, and I felt like I had HUGE METAL TEETH like Jaws in the James Bond film. ;)

It does get better with time. I forget that I have braces now. You do get used to them but the first few days and weeks are really unpleasant for a lot of people.

minnie2

#23 Post by minnie2 »

Im really sad for you but i send you a lot a positive energy....in a few times, you will have a perfect smile and just good memory of your journey! we forget!!!

Thanks "Wirerose" you help me so much with your message!

Minnie!

britt27

#24 Post by britt27 »

Hi everyone. Thank you all soooo much for caring and for your support! I really admire all of you for being sooo strong and able to conquer ya'lls journey in braces. But unfortunatley for me, mine ended just as it was beginning. I went to see my orthodontist in tears and he took them off. I told him I couldn't keep them on it hurt so badly! I know all of you are thinking how weak I am and oh what a baby. I really wish i could have done this for myself, but it seemed so impossible for me to do. I felt like the braces conquered me. As for how I am feeling I never felt better the moment I got them off! I got sleep finally, my headache was gone and I wasn't in pain. I can brush my teeth again!! I don't want to be a let down to anyone out there and scare anyone either. It is just me and how I felt about them. I do have another appointment with my Orthodontist in a few weeks, I think to discuss everything and what to do next. I wonder if there is another option for me. But probably not. :( I am sorry that I didn't finish what I began and I hope I am not a dissapointment to you all out there. Once again thank you all for the kind words and support it felt really nice to have people rooting for me.

ohmyjaw

#25 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Britt,

I am sorry to hear you had to get your braces taken off but glad to hear that you're not in pain anymore. If braces are something that you really want, I hope you don't give up. Maybe there are other treatment options for you, or another type of braces you could try. Good luck!

Kbraced

#26 Post by Kbraced »

hmm maybe your ortho didn't know what the heck he was doing? my braces didn't hurt. it was uncomfy for a bit but i wasn't in pain and didn't need any meds. that's so odd :?

PARR

#27 Post by PARR »

there are folks out there with sensitive teeth. Cold, hot, and pressure cause real pain. While there are desensitizing remedies out there, they don't work fast or completely. Britt may well need to address the sensitivity issues before working with an ortho able to adapt to this problem of sensitivity. Best of luck addressing this problem and getting the results you want.

Brahma

#28 Post by Brahma »

Hey,

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better now. And I think you it is nothing to be sorry for, you just did what felt best and that is better than just following the crowd. Maybe something was going wrong.
If you really wanna do this, I am sure you will find a way that is the right one for you. Maybe you can talk to a dentist to ask, what the reason for the pain could have been and if there is something that could be done to alleviate it.

I really do hope you will find the way that is best for you. Lots of positive energy being sent your way. :P

I´d be happy to hear how you are doing the next weeks with it or what you are doing about it.

Greetz,
Brahma

cwatt1

#29 Post by cwatt1 »

Britt, I'm so very sorry to hear what you went through. The amount of extreme pain you reported certainly did not seem normal, and I'm glad you did what was right for you. It makes me feel badly, because your earlier pre-brace posts seemed to indicated how excited you were to get your braces.

I hope you and your ortho can find a solution at your next visit. Perhaps there's an underlying cause that needs to be treated before you start orthodontic treatment.

The very best of luck to you!

Click here to read about my progress.

platinum

#30 Post by platinum »

I had a lots of pain when I got my braces. But the pain I had was aching, my whole mouth ached. My teeth were very sensitive, but I did not have extreme pain like you had.

Maybe you could test Invisalign? You could at least take trays off if the pain gets too much. Or somekind of retainer thing.