Braces put on today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steadfast

Braces put on today!

#1 Post by Steadfast »

YAY! I has a mouth full of weirdness now. :)

So, this morning I was terrified the car was going to break down and I would miss my appointment or something. I think any anxiety I had transferred itself to actually getting to there, rather than the fitting itself.

I had a nice shower in the morning, washed my hair, had a big breakfast, and scrubbed my teeth pretty darn well.

Couldn't find parking. Panicked for about 20 minutes trying to find parking. Edinburgh is SUCH a nightmare, especially during festival time. Luckily I am naturally paranoid so had given myself oodles of time. Found a spot at the leisurepark, outside pizza hut.

Once I'd gotten in and seen the receptionist I had a bit of a comedown sitting in the waiting room with sulky teenage girl, sulky teenage boy, peppy teenage girl and random mom with remarkable sandals. I'd gotten so excited about it that I didn't want to WAIT! I wanted it NOW!

Got in, my ortho Christina is a lovely girl but she does tend to get straight into things. She's al like "yes we do this and then this and then that and OKAY LETS GO!" and I'm all like "wait, but what about such and such...?" To be honest I think most people don't ask questions because she seemed surprised but pleased.

The fitting was so much quicker than I expected. Maybe an hour? I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers and I got powerchains on the left side where I had my two extractions.

I took photos!

http://pics.livejournal.com/dapperscave ... c/0005zs37

http://pics.livejournal.com/dapperscave ... c/00060t9a

http://pics.livejournal.com/dapperscave ... c/00061ryq

This one's good for showing how crooked my teeth are. You don't necessarily notice it just talking to me since my lips cover it most of the time.
http://pics.livejournal.com/dapperscave ... c/00062y4x

http://pics.livejournal.com/dapperscave ... c/000631hq

I got to hold my own saliva sucker tube thingie. I'm a grown up now. :p The worst part was the cold water they sprayed on my teeth. They're quite sensitive to the cold. The brackets going on felt like fairly normal dental type stuff but I could feel the change the very instant she started to put the achwire in. It felt/feels quite uncomfortable, like a constant pressure.

I got a good aftercare talk, and a goodiebag with a new ortho toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, a brush-on-a-stick-thingie, wax and some interdental brushes. No sticker though :( She then advised me on the foods to avoid. The one that really suprised me was turmeric. She said it would turn my elastics green. Though that might be cool. If I could have gotten colours I would have gotten green and silver. I'm kinda bummed I didn't, but not to much. Just a little. Oh, and she also advised Nurofen and lots of it.

Well, she didn't actually say 'lots of it' but I'm chosing to interpret it that way ;) Also, I made a very good impression on her because I had already prepared myself a little travel kit based on the advise on these forums *l* Go you guys!

Anyway, I then return to the car swinging my goodie bag back and forth in the beautiful sunshine... and get the WORST craving for thin n crispy pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. DAMN YOU PIZZA HUT!

Its now been 10 hours since fitting and I feel good. I've used one bit of wax so far on a very annoying catchy bracket. I may use another on the very back right but I'll see how it goes. Talking is interesting. I work in distribution and I can hardy say it *lol* Every time I say something with the letter F, like 'forum', 'fire' or 'fish' I WHISTLE! *lol* Adam (the husband) thinks its dead funny.

Food tackled so far: cream of parsnip soup and a yoghurt. I am now about to have ice cream! YAY ICE CREAM!

Oh my god I rambled so much, didn't I?
Last edited by Steadfast on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

YAY ICE CREAM!

Heeheehee, welcome aboard and good luck with treatment! Sounds like you had a great brace day (despite parking probs) and wonderful ortho! :D :D :D

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hahahaha peppy and pouty, I reckon I was a little giddy myself for my appointment. I was sitting there chatting away while holding my own sucky thing too! Hahaha, sounds like you had a good experience. That whistling when you say certain letters will die down. My mister and his friends were gettin a hoot out of it too. Lucky you didn't need an expander :D
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

discomom

#4 Post by discomom »

YAY YOU!!! Now let the straightening begin! congratulations! Lori

Steadfast

#5 Post by Steadfast »

I'm not feeling confident enough to tackle any chewing just yet. I can't get my back teeth anywhere near each other when I close my mouth because my top teeth it the bottom brackets first. *f* Its very annoying.

So today I'm chickening out and I'm going to pick up a slimfast from Tesco :)

I must look into these 'waterpiks' They sound kinda useful.

Traceymay

#6 Post by Traceymay »

Hey Steadfast :-1

Cool photos. I liked the one where you still have the dots on your upper ceramics. I didn't realise that I had them on mine until I got home and had a proper look. Then panicked thinking that they were permanent lol

I've had my upper ceramics on for over a week, and to date no pain and just in the last couple of days the I no longer have to use the wax as my mouth has recovered.

I'm getting back to my normal food (just had a suasage and egg butty) and am about to tuck into a Ginger bread man.

Good luck with your Journey.

bracesafter40

#7 Post by bracesafter40 »

Welcome to the metal mouth club :-); we all have mouth full of weirdness :-). I'm a part of the crooked and crowded tooth club as well :-)...

So why did you choose to get ceramics on the top?

Thanks for sharing the pics; well done.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

Steadfast

#8 Post by Steadfast »

To be perfectly honest I just went along with what the dentist advised. While I would have gone for full metals if necessary I am quite happy with the ceramics. Today at work some people didn't even notice I had braces at all!