acne from braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

allegro

acne from braces?

#1 Post by allegro »

Hello, a lurker here. It has been almost 10 mos since I was braced and my teeth are looking awesome. However, several months ago I started noticing that I was breaking out all around my mouth and onto the bottom part of my nose. My chin is ok, but my upper lip is always red and bumpy. I'm starting to wonder if my braces could be the cause because I hadn't had a blemish in 3 or 4 years before this past winter. Now I have 3-6 at any given time!

I did ask my orthodontist if the ligatures might have latex in them in case I've developed an allergy to that, but he thought the amount, if any, would be very small. And anyway, I don't think I'm allergic to latex.

Anyone else dealing with this? Ideas on the cause or what to do about it? It seems like slathering that area in Neosporin cream has yielded the best results, but normal acne treatment stuff like benzoyl peroxide or s. acid doesn't work.

Thanks!

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

Do you have a nickel allergy? This might cause your problems.
I get very bad rash from nickel, so I got nickel free brackets and wires.
I had eye classes that had nickel in the frame and I started to get rash on my nose where the saddle bridges touched my skin.

allegro

#3 Post by allegro »

I didn't even think about nickel. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to test it out!

Rainy

#4 Post by Rainy »

Hmm I wouldnt think something like Neosporin would help either. I am wondering if you have changed any of the products you use to clean your teeth with? If your anything like me it ends up all over my lower face and mirror when I brush and floss and use the interdental picks. It could be your reacting to an ingredient in one of the products your using. Just a suggestion though.

Rainy

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

I didn't even think about nickel. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to test it out!
Easy test: buy cheap metal ear rings. not silver (they sometimes are nickel free). Wear them couple of days and see if you get a rash.

jennicakes

#6 Post by jennicakes »

i think it is one of two things.....
1) from a new product, such as petrolium jelly or vaseline, that you are using for your braces. it is probably accidentally getting on the sides of your mouth, or other areas of your face if you touch it afterwards.

2) you may be touching your teeth more.....i know i do this alot to feel my invisalign.....and you could be accidentally touching the sides of your mouth. the only time i EVER break out is when i have been touching my face alot (it is a nervous habit)

allegro

#7 Post by allegro »

The touching thing is a good point... I don't think I'm using any different products since I'm just using the same toothpaste/mouthwash as always--just more types of brushes in the delivery :P But it's entirely possible that there's more touching since there is certainly more picking going on (ugh!). The other thing I wondered is if the fact that my lip is kind of stretched out to fit over my braces is irritating it in any way. Kind of far fetched, I suppose, but one of just a few things that I can think are different since the braces.

BraceUrself

#8 Post by BraceUrself »

ok, I have the EXACT same thing in the SAME areas & I went to the Dr who referred me to a dermatologist & it is Perioral Dermatitis-you can google it along with pics to see if yours is the same thing-good luck finding out & if that Is what it is, you need cream to make it go away:yes
good luck
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I hate to be a sponser and promoting a product but this one I have to say works very well. My doctor has told me about it and I tried it once and it worked like a charm! Just buy some and keep using it even after the acne has disappeared.

You ask what is it? Well here you go

PROACTIVE

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008