Ortho's Physical Involvement in Treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roxxie

Ortho's Physical Involvement in Treatment

#1 Post by roxxie »

I'm just wondering, how much is your actual orthodontist involved in your treatment?

Mine was present at the initial consultation, but he has a massive team of assistants who did all the pictures, impressions, further consultations, and even the bracing (brackets and wires!) In fact, all I saw of him on the day I was braced was 10 seconds where he sat down (after my brackets were on but before the archwire), told me to open and close, and then told the assistants something. Then he was gone.

I would normally be very concerned about this, but I have two friends who went to him who have both had AMAZING results. So I'm just going to trust him.

So, do you all go to smaller offices where the ortho does most of the work himself? Or is your situation more like mine?

LaaLaa

#2 Post by LaaLaa »

My ortho's office is a very tightly knit group consisting only of one assistant and usually only one receptionist/financial coordinator. So, every time I go in for an adjustment or a quick fix appointment, usually my doctor does about half the work (examining my teeth when I first sit in the chair and taking off the ties and wires) and the assistant the other half, of putting the new appliances after consulting with my doctor. So, I must say, I'm pretty happy with the way they work because if I were in your situation roxxie, I'd be a little upset and worried but since you feel confident in the practice you chose, I'd say just go with the flow. :P But, if you have any questions about anything, I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone. :wink:

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

In the UK, all the assistants do is pass things to the ortho, and sometimes do X-rays and photos.

All the clinical work is done by the dentist/orthodontist.

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I go to a rather small office - 1 ortho, 2 assistants and 2 office staff. With the exception of the power chain changes that I have been getting every 2 weeks lately my ortho looks things over at each visit. He also placed all my brackets. At each adjustment the assistant removes the ligatures and wires, Dr W checks everything out, tells the assistant which new wires, elastics, etc to use and the assistant puts me back together.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

PARR

#5 Post by PARR »

Our ortho has a large staff...1 financial/insurance, 2 reception/schedulers who know the clinical aspects and can explain all to patients and parents, 5 techs/chairs. That said, the ortho peronally tweeked each bracket before final bonding, and even inspected my mouth when I stopped by for a pokey wire to be snipped...a 1 minute item. So it seems to me, he is very active and the team work is well together. Much of an ortho's work is behind the scenes, chosing the right sytem and brackets for a case, supervising the monthly check up and updating progress, intervening in unexpected issues.

As a physical therapist I know how much behind the scenes work an orthopedist or neurologist does before I ever get a patient, and instructions are precise.

katmc_tx

#6 Post by katmc_tx »

My ortho's office is pretty much as you described. My ortho also brought in a second ortho but I requested to see only her and she also assigned me to one specific assistant. I just felt shuffled around and like no one knew what was going on with me and my treatment. So after those changes were made I feel alot better about going to the same person all the time and secure in the knowledge that she is aware of my situation.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

My ortho's office has 1 ortho, 6 assistants, 1 sterilization tech, 1 or 2 students observing or helping the assistants, 1 treament coordinator, and a front desk girl. For bonding, I had two sessions which he normally would do in one sitting. The assistant polished, prepped, placed, he came by to check placement before bonding. He would check and tell her everything is ok or would move one around and the clean it. He would check my bite at adjustments and let the girls know what needed to be done. But when I go in for a pokey wire, he always takes a look and does it himself. Lately he's been having to grind that sucker down instead of just clipping it off. What a nightmare, but I seem to have a good line of communication with the ortho even with his busy office. He also responds to his own e-mails!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

Same here. The ortho only checks quickly and gives instrctions to the assistants. My lower brackets were put in my the assistant, ortho just checked quickly and he assistant bonded them. My upper brackets were put in by the ortho and assitant together, because the titanium brackets were sliding around. The front ceramics were placed by the ortho.

Usually in my appointments the assistant removes the wire, ortho gives a quick check, and asistant puts a new one.

When I was a kid, there was only the ortho, no assistant or front desk. The appointmenst were also longer and more relaxed than now. Today it is like a braces factory.

SnowSara

#9 Post by SnowSara »

I'll echo every one else with a big office - the ortho is always around for my adjustments, but he has never done any actual "work" on my teeth. He "placed" my brackets on my teeth with his computer before they went on and the assistant put them on with the orthoCAD trays. He always comes to check and talk to me and I feel totally confident with him and his team.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Tin Indian

#10 Post by Tin Indian »

:D My ortho has 2 offices, one about 100 yards south of me where I go and another about 10 miles east of me. He is the Big Kahuna in both of his offices with about a support staff 15-20 people at all times.He sees each and every patient each and everytime they are seen in his office . Both of his offices are set up like the game rooms at the local mall. My particular office I go to is his home office and has even has a large Macaw called Winslow! (GlupkerOrthodontics.com) He and his staff has such a nice demeanor its hard not to stop in and just hang around. He always says his doors are always open- if it weren't his patients he would be out of work!
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Smiletagious:o)

#11 Post by Smiletagious:o) »

At my ortho's office there's one receptionist, one assistant, and the ortho. I like it, you see the same people each time you go in. My ortho does all the work himself, and the assistant hands him equipment/wires, etc. :wink: