Poll for adults with braces - if your interested

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katmc_tx

#16 Post by katmc_tx »

Option A as there were 5 kids in my family and my parents could not afford braces. Although thinking back I dont know if I really would have wanted them. I still dont want them and I'm counting down the days till I get these torturing devices off!!
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

jennicakes

#17 Post by jennicakes »

a) my parents had three children, and couldnt afford it. They used what money they had to send all of us to catholic school for 12 years. For them, education was much more important than braces. They couldn't afford both.

MissDiana

#18 Post by MissDiana »

Option a - my parents couldn't really afford it. I'm not sure WHY they couldn't afford it, as my dad is a postal worker and has great dental insurance, and my brother had braces, but ... whatever.

Yeah, option A. :D
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

SnowSara

#19 Post by SnowSara »

F - What about the plain fact that maybe we didn't need them when we were younger?? My teeth were fine when I was younger but started to shift in my 20s. My parents would have gotten me braces if I had needed them back then, they did so for my brother.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

artsyalice

#20 Post by artsyalice »

C. I didnt want them and refused to get them even though my family offered

HowlingWolf

#21 Post by HowlingWolf »

A for me. I could've had them over a decade ago but I was too stupid and messed up.

jf74

#22 Post by jf74 »

In my case it would be a D

I was a case that needed extraction and surgery and my parents did not want to put me throught that.

Sometime I wish that they had done the treatment but I know they did not want to traumatize and hurt me at a younger age.

Tin Indian

#23 Post by Tin Indian »

E for "me". Now thats rhyme that didn't take much time!
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Betty Bat

#24 Post by Betty Bat »

F for me also. I didn't need them when I was younger. I had two baby teeth with no permanent teeth behind them. One was pulled when I was 12. Over the next 40 (!) years, my teeth shifted around.

ohmyjaw

#25 Post by ohmyjaw »

I am an F. I had mucho ortho treatment as a kid, with no improvement. Actually it probably left me worse off. I had two rounds of palate expansion and still did not get expanded enough. I had extractions that my current orthodontist tells me were unecessary, even detrimental. And full braces for a couple of years.

Now I am 29 and two years into treatment. Hoping to be done in time for my 30th birthday!

oceanblue

#26 Post by oceanblue »

F -- I had braces as a teenager and 10 years later I'm back in them again. I'm the poster child for why you should have your wisdom teeth out before / during braces and why you should wear your retainers! :)

I'll be wearing my retainers for sure this time around! I get my braces off in 8 days! Bonded retainer on the bottom and clear on the top!
Upper ceramic and lower metal braces
Round #2 - Had braces as a teen for 4 years!
Treatment time: 14 months
Braces on: July 19th, 2006
Bottom braces off: August 29th, 2007
Top braces off: September 19th, 2007
BLWR on bottom and Essix on top!

Whitters

#27 Post by Whitters »

C. I didnt want them and refused to get them even though my family offered.

I could of gotten it for free - the organization where my father works pays for the dental for his wife and children up to 16 yrs.
However, I didn't want it at the time. I guess I was too conscious about what others around me would think (like if I would know being SOO young at the time) and my mom didn't force me.
Now, I'm paying for it out my own pocket. I think it means a lot to me more now though. I would definitely appreciate my new smile :D .
B-day: May 14th 2007

HeyTeach

#28 Post by HeyTeach »

At 50, tt's my turn now. I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm doing it for me.

"But your teeth looked fine!" Um, well, thanks but let's see. If they felt ok, looked ok, and worked ok, I wouldn't be spending lots of cash to do this. Let's assume there is a problem, Houston.

LuvBug26

#29 Post by LuvBug26 »

I would say B.
My parents split when I was two so when it came time to discuss the braces with them my mother sent me to my dad and my dad (who was working 2 jobs to take care of himself and his 2 daughters) couldn't afford it so he sent me back to my mother (who could have) and she said no, i'll split it but she wasn't meaning split it fairly. She basically wanted him to pay for it all. I could go on but .....that's another Oprah show!!! LOL :)

"To error is human, to forgive is divine."

Steadfast

#30 Post by Steadfast »

A couple of reasons. One was money, but the other was that we were a very mobile family. I lived in a different house every year growing up.