Braces Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VeronicaD

Braces Question

#1 Post by VeronicaD »

With a Class 1 do i need to get those little rubberbands that go on the side of your mouth please let me know what are the bands for also does everyone get bands on also I will have all my work done at once is that going to hurt

babyduck

#2 Post by babyduck »

When and if you get elastics will be up to your ortho. I got my elastics the same day I was braced, but some orthos prefer to wait. I'm sure there is no right or wrong way...just the preference of your ortho.

Bands are used to help in bite correction. The ortho will assess whether or not you need them and, based on your present bite, will determine which teeth you need to place them on. I, for example, wear my elastics on my upper canines down to my lower canines and the teeth next to them. So, my elastics form a little triangle in the front of my mouth lol. I asked the DA about them and how long I would probably have to wear them and she said likely throughout my entire treatment, but that the ortho would probably change which teeth I wear them on as time goes by.

As far as pain goes, that just depends on the person. When you say, "all your work done on one day," I'm not sure what that encompasses. The day that I was braced, I had my bands applied to my back teeth, the brackets glued to my other teeth, the wire inserted into the brackets, and my bottom teeth were slenderized (sanded with a diamond blade to make room for movement). My uppers will be slenderized at the next appt. My advice to minimize your discomfort is to put on lots of chap stick just before they get to work. Make sure you're not thirsty and that you don't have to go to the bathroom. Those things can make an uncomfortable situation even worse lol. And you may even consider taking an Ibuprofin just prior to treatment. I meant to and forgot, but took one immediately after getting home.

Making sure that you stay really well hydrated will help out in more ways than one, though. I haven't experienced any discomfort from chaffing because of the braces rubbing against the inside of my mouth. If you drink plenty of water, your mouth isn't dry and will slide more comfortably over the braces. So, I'd start the habit of drinking plenty of water now so that your body hydrated.

In my opinion, the bands did add a little to my discomfort, but only for the first couple of days. I personally felt a lot of pressure from the braces on my teeth and the bands gave that extra little tug and pull. But the important thing to remember is that the more you keep them in, the sooner your mouth will adjust to the elastics and the pressure will disappear. It took me like a day and a half - two days to not dread putting my elastics back in after eating and brushing. Now, I don't think anything about it. They can add a little extra rubbing and chaffing which goes back to the importance of staying hydrated.

HTH!!

Stacy

Check out my braces story for pics :-)!

chillin-in-grilz

#3 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Isnt elastics towards the end of treatment?
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

chillin-in-grilz wrote:Isnt elastics towards the end of treatment?
Now as for your question... "Isn't elastics towards the end of treatment?"

I Will have to say "No" I have received elastics at adjustment number two had them for eight weeks... had a break for 8 weeks and after the break I went right back into elastics and I still have another approximently 8-12 months left!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Clairey Fairey

#5 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I thought they were but I just got mine after just 3 months!!

babyduck

#6 Post by babyduck »

chillin - I got my elastics on the very day I was braced. I think it's something that depends on your ortho and his own method of treatment.

Check out my braces story for pics :-)!

chillin-in-grilz

#7 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

OOO ok, I thought it was the last phase of treatment which is to align your jaws properly. I am 6 months in with no elastics yet. Still one year to go.
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007