Am I the only one with problems like this ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hopecochran

Am I the only one with problems like this ?

#1 Post by hopecochran »

Hello everyone! I just got my braces off in November and I have had nothing but trouble ever since. I am at the point that I have to say, even though I wanted a beautiful smile, I regret ever walking into the orthodontist's office. I am now facing two crowns and the possibility of having braces put BACK ON to correct my teeth. I have terrible gaps between my back teeth that are so bad tooth picks and dental floss will not get it out. I have to use larger objects just to remove food from my teeth every single time I eat. I just will not accept that this is the way they are supposed to be. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just an adult situation? Help !!!

eggraid101

#2 Post by eggraid101 »

Sorry to hear about your problem, I hope that it can be corrected easily. Did you speak to your orthodontist about your concerns? Sometimes depending on the shape of your teeth and gums there is not much that can be done orthodontically to correct a problem of getting food stuck between them. Are you wearing a retainer?
Russell Mullen, DDS MS
Leesburg, VA

Remember: your orthodontist knows your dental history and orthodontic condition best. I can guide you toward better orthodontic information than if you were left on your own and hopefully in doing so play a small part in your quest to achieve a beautiful, fully functional smile, but you should consider your orthodontist the best source of information.

http://www.mullenortho.com

hopecochran

#3 Post by hopecochran »

Yes and Yes. I do wear my retainer, although now I just wear it at night and my next appointment is in December. My bottom retainer is non-removable. I have talked to my orthodontist and I have to say he has an out of this world bed side manner and is a pure joy to talk to and be around. We have always joked and laughed at my visits about things going on in my life. So, when I asked him if these things were normal, he replied, "for anypne else, probably not, but for you... anything is possible!" That was as far as I ever got. I told the x-ray tech that I thought this was one of the biggest mistakes I had ever made, but got nowhere with her either. I just don't know what to do.

babyduck

#4 Post by babyduck »

Maybe you should take a more direct approach with your orthodontist and tell him that you're really unhappy with your results so far. Maybe he was making a joke (since y'all seem to have a jovial relationship) or maybe your teeth are a unique case. I know several people on here have had to be braced more than once. But perhaps you could schedule an appointment that is just a "counsel" sort of meeting where you tell him your concerns and he tells you his plans of action. It sounds as though y'all have an open line of communication, so hopefully talking this out will make him understand that you're more concerned than perhaps he realizes. And if you still feel like you're not getting through to him after you've made a true attempt to work it out, then maybe a second opinion might help.

Check out my braces story for pics :-)!

hopecochran

Thanks!

#5 Post by hopecochran »

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I will try that. AFter all, nothing ventured: nothing gained !! I'll let you know how it goes. My husband will be so glad to know that I am telling someone besides him how much I hate my teeth!! Thanks again !!

Kat

#6 Post by Kat »

Yeah, the joking may not help in this case. I'd tell him exacatly what you are saying here. He sems to take it all in his stride. So be completly honest with him.

QKate

#7 Post by QKate »

It sounds like your ortho did not do an excellent job if he left you in this situation. Is that right>? It is unfair of him to not give you a straight answer. I know the ego on some people can get in the way of clear communication. I'd say, keep pushing until you get clarity and all.

Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

I agree with the others. You are just going to have to be very forward and exact in stating you aren't happy with what's happened.