Furious with my orthodontist... Turbos! (Hi, I'm new!)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DaveQat

Furious with my orthodontist... Turbos! (Hi, I'm new!)

#1 Post by DaveQat »

Hey, folks.

My name is Dave, and I'm 27. My bottom brackets went on.. yesterday. Along with turbos.

I was not told in advance that turbos would be needed, much less an option, and last night after the bottom brackets went on, he said "OK, one more thing..."

Then, when he's done, he said "Oh, you might be on soft food for 6 weeks..."

Thanks for the warning, bub. Remind me to put on my steel-toed boots and kick you in the nuts without warning.

Does anybody have any advice on dealing with these things? Chewing is, for now, basically impossible. I had chinese for lunch since the rice and the little bits of chicken I could swallow nearly whole. A diet entirely of smoothies doesn't sound very appealing to me. It was bad enough when my partner's jaw was wired shut for 8 weeks.

babyduck

#2 Post by babyduck »

Ack, that's gotta suck. I'm not hip to all the gear and what it is, so I really don't know what you're talking about haha...but my sympathies are with you.

I've been in braces for a week, now, and if you're already eating chicken, then you're ahead of where I was the day after bracing. So, maybe things won't be as bad as you think. I do have a friend that had to have her jaw wired shut for three years ( :shock: ), and she adapted quite well. I always say, where there's a will, there's a way...and I've always got a will to get to food! She pureed everything during those three years. That doesn't sound appetizing to me, but if you compare...6 weeks seems much more tolerable than 3 years. But again, if you're already eating chicken (whole or not), you're in better shape than I was in. But I'm sure time (and desperation) will bring out your creative side and you'll think of ways to eat your regular foods comfortably. I ate a lot of hot dogs last week, for example. I just sliced it into bite size pieces and ate it that way. I'm still tearing off bites instead of biting into food because my front teeth are a little wobbly. Spaghetti has been really easy on the gums (and stomach, too, since I swallowed a lot of food whole, as well), although it is a PITA with the brackets. And meatballs are usually pretty tender and easy to smash with your tongue if you can't chew them.

Stacy

Check out my braces story for pics :-)!

SandraJones

#3 Post by SandraJones »

(OK babyduck, I'm following YOU now ! :-))

I didn't know what turbos were til I looked them up .... "bite turbos". DaveQat, my sympathies ! My google search reveals that they can be very uncomfortable ! If it makes you feel any better (hopefully you have found this info already), they can speedily improve your bite.

On what teeth do you have the turbos ? With them in place, can you touch your upper and lower molars together at all ?
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

DaveQat

#4 Post by DaveQat »

SandraJones wrote:
On what teeth do you have the turbos ? With them in place, can you touch your upper and lower molars together at all ?
They're on my incisors. And no, the molars don't touch. Were I so inclined, I could close my bite as much as I'm able now, and run a pipe cleaner almost all the way around without a problem.

I keep telling myself 12 months left...

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

Use the search function. There has been many people in this forum with Turbos and they have managed to eat. Maybe you get some advice how and what to eat.

Dimples

#6 Post by Dimples »

hi dave,

I see you are in chicago, so am I :D . What part of town is your ortho located? My ortho is on ashland ave in the city.

Sorry, i don't know anything about turbo's. There's gotta be a way you can eat regularly as oppose to puree's all the time...do a search. Good luck!

SandraJones

#7 Post by SandraJones »

Hey, I'm in Chicago too ! My orthodontist is on North Lincoln Ave, near Fullerton. I live downtown.
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

Dimples

#8 Post by Dimples »

Came back to tell dave that i'm also 27 :D
i'm a female.

Hi sandra!!! I live on the northwest side of the city. My ortho's office is on the 3200 blck of ashland ave. It's about a block away from where milwaukee,ashland, and elston cross sections 3 ways...it's called Oral care Limited. :)

DaveQat

#9 Post by DaveQat »

My ortho is in Evanston. Barry Walvoord. His staff are great, and aside from this big lapse in communications he's been fantastic. ;o)

SandraJones

#10 Post by SandraJones »

He probably didn't warn you ahead of time because he knew you'd look it up and say "No way !". :-) There's not a lot of optimistic info on the 'net about bite turbos except the info on orthodontists' web sites saying that they really do work. Hopefully you will not have to have them on long, Dave.

Having spacers in I have already perfected the fine art of crushing food in the roof of my mouth with my tongue. I was able to eat a small hamburger yesterday with almost no chewing. It took an hour though, and I had to heat it up twice.

Granola

#11 Post by Granola »

I was surprised with bite turbos about five months into my treatment. While I was not thrilled initially, I was also okay with it, anything to help achieve the results my orthodontist was shooting for, which was to open up my bite. They are called turbo jets (my orthos' name for them) for a reason as they did achieve what they were meant to, for me.

I lisped at first and had trouble chewing -- and then a few weeks later, they had become such a part of my mouth that I barely noticed them. They are quite a shock initially, but I really believe that you will soon get used to them and not mind them quite as much as you are right now, and that you will be able to eat more easily, if your experience is anything like mine. Seriously!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Kat

#12 Post by Kat »

UMM, WELCOME TO BRACES... :roll:

Kleigh

#13 Post by Kleigh »

I've had turbos for six months now. They were a pain for about a month, but it does get easier. Believe it or not, I'm muching on Fritos right now. See, it does get better! The only thing that is still difficult for me to eat is steak. I haven't had that since the end of Feb.

LynnHowell

#14 Post by LynnHowell »

My ortho's office called them THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR Buttons, but they're the same thing. Without a doubt, that was the worst part of my treatment! I know exactly how you feel and the pain and tenderness involved. I assure you it will get better. You will stop accidently biting down on them and they will actually wear down a bit. It took me about a week to finally get comforable enough in them to stop complaining to anyone who would listen.

For me, chewing gum helped tremendously to work out the pain. And yeah...probably not supposed to have gum. I never had a problem with that part.

Best wishes!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com