Unusual jiggling off tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Soggy

Unusual jiggling off tooth

#1 Post by Soggy »

I have noticed this weird movement a couple of days ago when I looked into the mirror and bit down to brush my teeth. My left central and lateral incisors of the upper arch move up toward the gums whenever I bite. Also, applying pressure with just my finger moves them up. Is this normal? I've had braces for only a month, and I don't really know much about what really is going on in my mouth.

Edit: I just did a full-mouth check and I found that two more teeth, this time molars, make slight movement when pushed toward the gum.

Is this normal, or are my teeth about ready to pop out of their sockets?

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

I have had that!
One of my premolars was really jumping up and down. It was extruded from the gum in order to correct my deepbite. Now I have stronger wire and it sit nicely on its place.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Soggy, it's normal for teeth to feel loose. They have to loosen in the periodontal ligament which normally holds them in place, so that the braces can move them.
You will notice it most in the early stages of treatment when thin flexible wires are used. Later on stiffer wires are used and the movement is less apparent. It's nothing to worry about.

QKate

#4 Post by QKate »

Just wondering- do they stay "loose" the entire treatment, or when do they tighten up? Is it as scary feeling as it sounds to have the teeth loose like that? Does it literally happen to everyone with braces?

babyduck

#5 Post by babyduck »

Well, tomorrow marks a week for me in braces, and my teeth definitely have that "loose" sensation. In fact, when people ask me how my mouth feels, that's exactly what I tell them...that it's like every tooth in my head is loose and someone's applying a constant pressure to them. But even though they're still shifting around, the "pressure" part isn't that bad, anymore.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Q, the teeth can't move unless they loosen, so no, they do not feel tight during treatment. But like I said to Soggy, once you get into thicker wires, the movement isn't so apparent because the stronger wire holds them firmer.

Glad you're getting used to things, Babyduck!

Meloho

#7 Post by Meloho »

q - My teeth are always in varying stages of looseness. One day they can feel like they're gonna fall right out of their sockets, the next they're barely moveable. I haven't had a heavy wire yet, I have to wait to see what'll happen like what Lisa said, but I'm looking forward to that - having my teeth restrained so I don't worry about them falling out...lol!

QKate

#8 Post by QKate »

I guess because I have 50% bone loss I already have a fear of my teeth falling out ( I am only 34 years old). So it sounds so scary to me to have them feel loose! But I will go through with the treatment, just trying to get an idea what to expect. But, you actually like the feelng of them being loose?! What exactly does spongy mean?! Thanks.- Q

rsprouse

#9 Post by rsprouse »

I guess because I have 50% bone loss I already have a fear of my teeth falling out ( I am only 34 years old). So it sounds so scary to me to have them feel loose! But I will go through with the treatment, just trying to get an idea what to expect. But, you actually like the feelng of them being loose?! What exactly does spongy mean?! Thanks.- Q
With 50% bone loss I would expect your teeth to already be somewhat mobile. The spongy feeling is a unique feeling by which your teeth are moveable, yet firmly attached. You can move the teeth with gentle finger pressure, but they are not "flapping in the breeze".

There is different research about the exact time to remodel, but figure a good year plus after braces for full retention. This is why it is **SO** important to be diligent about wearing your retainer.

Good Luck,
Rory

Soggy

#10 Post by Soggy »

All right, it's been a while since I last updated.

It seems as if one of my molars of my top arch totally DROPPED. It's hanging lower than usual, and I can feel it moving up whenever I chew or bite.

This is so scary.

platinum

#11 Post by platinum »

"flapping in the breeze"
:lol: