Extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carolinahigh12

Extractions

#1 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Okay, so yesterday I got a bicuspid removed and it went well. My question is.... Is it supposed to hurt? I mean I took pain pills for my wisdom teeth, and the dentist prescribed me pain pills for this extraction, but I hadnt felt any pain. I know it is bad to want pain, but I was wondering if this was normal, or if he may not have taken out all of the tooth fragements?
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi Carolina

Be grateful that it doesn't hurt. I had two extractions, one hurt quite a bit and the other one didn't hurt at all.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

LilRedPitViper

#3 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I had 4 extractions about a month ago, and didn't feel any pain. I was given a prescription for pain meds, but didn't even fill it.

My brother also recently had an extraction, and he said he didn't feel any pain either.

Be grateful - some people are miserable afterwards. :D

Naranja

#4 Post by Naranja »

hahaha

same happened to me Carolina, I had two bicuspids extracted in my upper arch... and I really was expecting pain, or sort of.
But nothing happened, NOTHING really it didn't even bother. After I talked to the dentist who did the extractions and he said "cool, you're a tough girl... don't feel bad because it doesn't hurt, it's ok".

I told him I felt swindled (it was the same dentist who exctract my wisdom teeth... 3 at the same time, that really hurt xD), and he just laugh and give me a candy :lol:

If you have any cuestions, I guess you should give your dentist a call and ask. Maybe you'll get a candy too :lol:

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I did not feel much pain except for the one bicuspid that had a root canal. Later when the chromic sutures were "dissolving" they were sore. Once the sutures fell out, I was ready to bite into some crusty bread!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Carolinahigh12

#6 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

cool. I was just expecting some kind of pain because he was writting all of these perscriptions for pain and stuff. After the extraction, I was able to eat anything that I wanted, although they wanted me to eat soft food. :). I am grateful that I didnt have any pain, but I didnt expect it to feel as if a tooth fell out on its own like when you are little and your baby teeth falls out...that what it feels like. It feels weird, I can stick a cigarette through the hole and smoke it if I wanted too :)
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

I just had my back molar removed today and although there is a dull ache there there is no real pain to speak of. I've been eating and drinking as normal and everything seems fine, i guess it depends of the tooth / location of the tooth/person.

Carolinahigh12

#8 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

seriously,
I think for me, the only pain I experienced was when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The OS had to cut the gum line and remove the tooth and stitch it closed. Honestly the pain was a slight and I mean very slight throbbing that I took a couple of ibprofren before the novicain wore off, and I was fine. The bleeding stopped within about 1 hr (maybe less than that). My advise would be to make sure you take a pain med as soon as you get home. Dont wait for the novicain to wear off; you can take something like ibprofren but nothing that will stop your blood to clot. Continue to eat, follow the instructions to the T, and salt water rinses ( start now before the surgery and continue forever. It helps the site heal better).
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

Carolinahigh12

#9 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

I think you will be fine. Dont worry to much about it, because you can cause yourself to worry too much. Make sure you understand your options when it comes to anethesia and pain management, and dont hesitate to ask the OS to go slowly through the explanation of the procedure.

Good luck!!
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

SinOnYourLips

#10 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Hey guys!

I have a question form everyone who had extractions. I just recently found out I might also be having 2 extractions of my (4th bicuspids). What I want to know if how long did it take, or is taking for your gaps to close? Because my ETT was 10 months and its been about 4 already, I'm scared that my treatment is going to take even longer, because of the gap closing process. Please let me know! Thanks :)

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

I have a question form everyone who had extractions. I just recently found out I might also be having 2 extractions of my (4th bicuspids). What I want to know if how long did it take, or is taking for your gaps to close? Because my ETT was 10 months and its been about 4 already, I'm scared that my treatment is going to take even longer, because of the gap closing process. Please let me know! Thanks
It really depends if your ortho is trying to close your gaps, or if they are just letting them drift together so to speak. I had extractions in september 2005 and i'd say it took well over a year to close the gaps but we were working on fixing my bite before closing the gaps and everyone is different. I've been assured there are some fast methods out there.
I guess what im trying to say is that it all depends on the person / methods used and some people will have their gaps closed alot faster than others.

Your treatment time is only an estimate and i think you should remember that, and if it takes a little longer is it really going to matter?

payoki

#12 Post by payoki »

anticipation is more scary, removing perfectly healty teeth...
but there was no pain and recovery was fast.
mother of one.