Ok to stop elastics temporarily?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Ok to stop elastics temporarily?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I'm supposedly going to a family reunion (first time for me, so they will all be strangers at first) and I really don't want everyone seeing my elastics every time I talk to them. I would be there for 4 days. I'm supposed to wear my elastics all the time, which I've been doing, although it's been many months and I see very little progress.

Anyway, would it hurt anything or stunt my progress be much if I only wore them at night for those 4 days and not at all during the day?
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

gunter8888

#2 Post by gunter8888 »

I'm with Meryaten. I would not do anything that might impare my progress. I can understand being a little self-concious around new people, but your braces/elastics don't change who you are. As many of us have discovered, our braces are a much bigger issue to us than they ever are to anyone else. Most people at the reunion won't give your braces a second thought.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

I agree with the consensus. I personally would continue to wear them. while i may be a little self conscience, I wouldn't care if people saw them or not. afterall you are doing something to correct your bite. people will notice that.

I recently went over to a coworker's house for drinks and they have 2 kids. The youngest who is 3 came up to me and asked me what was on my teeth and I told him it was braces and he said what were they for and I told him. He smiled and went off playing again. lol
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I'm with the majority. I know it can be a bit confronting being in company with elastics all over your mouth (been there, done that) but trust me, the impact on others will be short lived.

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

I would not care about the other people and what tehy might think you having elastics.

I had elastics for my crossbite when i was a kid. The ortho worked in other town and I run out of elastics. I went to our local dentist and got elastics that had 2 times bigger diameter than those I used to wear. I was without elastics around 3 dayds and after that with too loose elastics until my next appointment with my ortho. Everything was ok.

jennandtonic

#6 Post by jennandtonic »

Honestly, most people aren't going to care about that sort of thing. And not wearing your elastics could hinder your progress--even if YOU don't see any doesn't mean it's not happening!

The only feedback I've gotten from elastics is 'Oh cool, you've got colored rubber bands!' and that's only every once in a blue moon when someone is really looking for it.

Pepper

#7 Post by Pepper »

I can understand what you're getting at...especially if your elastics make you a bit harder to understand when you speak (I know I'm a bit mushy when I have to wear them!).

I get what you mean.
I don't think it would hurt too much to not wear them as much during the day as long as you wore them at night and stuff.

I know that once when I had to wear elastics (early in the treatment for a short while) I went somewhere for the weekend and totally forgot to bring them with, and my progress wasn't hindered at all. I know that everyone's different, but I was away from them for at least three days and everything was fine.

Do what you want.
I don't think it would be a big deal to wear them, and I don't think it would be a big deal to not wear them during the day.

Just the bottom line is...don't be embarrassed. Don't worry about the appearance. :)

genxsis

#8 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone for your input! It looks like I should keep wearing them. It kind of sucks having them in because they go from the tooth on either side of the front teeth, down to the first molar. That makes them quite visible when I talk. I guess I can try it out and see what happens anyway.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"