My 1st Records Appt next week!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SideKick3QT

My 1st Records Appt next week!

#1 Post by SideKick3QT »

I am so excited! This is my first and far from last step towards getting my braces! Those little mouth molds always made me gag...hopefully it wont be too bad. :D

mindykatz

#2 Post by mindykatz »

Most orthos offer a pretty long list of flavors for the mold so it makes it a little better. I had fruit punch (it tastes like strawberry bubble gum). My ortho assistant said her fav was cotton candy - they even had cheesecake flavor! So choose a flavor you like and try to have a bit of fun with it.

Most important thing for me was relaxing and breathing through my nose. If you breath through your mouth you have a much better chance of gagging.

It wont be so bad, don't worry :) Ortho assistants probably deal with little kids vomiting all the time with molds, so they are used to even the absolute WORST case scenario. You'll be 100% ok :banana:

mindykatz

#3 Post by mindykatz »

yeah i also heard that the flavors can taste funky - I went with fruit punch because someone on here said it was pretty decent. I always stay away from fake chocolate flavor because it has the tendancy to taste like coffee...and I am NOT a coffee fan lol! I think f you stay with the types of artificial flavors that usually taste OK in candy and gum (fruit punch, strawberry, cotton candy, grape, etc), they aren't tooo bad.

KK: I never thought about the fact that more saliva would cause more of a gag reflex! I only have a bad gag reflex within about an hour of waking up in the morning, then it goes away. I feel really bad for people who have a really sensitive one! :yuck:

SideKick3QT

#4 Post by SideKick3QT »

Thanks everyone! Its kind of hilarious how excited I am for an ortho appt. I feel like a dork lol but its okay. I just cant wait until the end product! :lol:

JadeBlue

#5 Post by JadeBlue »

Hi there! I had my records done yesterday, and it wasn't bad at all and it didn't make me gag. Just try to relax and keep breathing slowly and steadily. I picked a focal point on the ceiling and tried to go into as much of a meditative state as is possible with a big tray of goop crammed into my mouth.

I was presented with a tray of potential flavorings too, such as fruit punch, cotton candy and even cookie dough. They seemed very kid-oriented and especially unappetizing before 9 in the morning. The tech helpfully suggested mint or cinnamon. I chose the cinnamon and it was mild and actually quite pleasant.

It got me thinking that they should have a separate tray of flavors geared toward adults. We might prefer coffee, caviar, or martini flavored plaster ;-)

Oh, you'll want to floss afterwards as you may have bits of plaster stuck between your teeth. I was picking bits of it out of my mouth for a couple of hours afterward. Patooie!

Good luck, and remember to breathe deeply and relax as much as possible. -Jade