braces and jaw surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kerry

braces and jaw surgery

#1 Post by Kerry »

have just got back from my orthadontists orthadontist in slough -- verry good guy and he arranged for a lady surgeon from the hospital to come in a nd see me (free) and she said to me that i would need the bottom jaw adjusting not the top, i would also have to wear braces for 18 months which will bring my teeth to where they are supposed to be but aparently they will look much worse (goofier) then when surgery is done they will look perfect.

Because my bottom teeth have compensated for my jaw being further back they have grown pretruted although they dont look it from looking at me the xrays show they are not straight, i would therfore be more goofey in the run up to surgery because the braces would have to straighten them.I wil also need two of my bottome teeth taken out.

My top teeth will also be straightened into the correct place all in all will take 18 months and a further 6 months with braces after surgery.Although my problem is skeletal it has been made worse by my childhood phumb sucking habit.

I asked about surgery and the cost she said at the moment they havent told her she cant except adult patients on the NHS but she will need to check with her line managers etcs, if not she said the cost of surgery would be about 4 grand I am booked in for tuesday the 8th to discuss all of this in more depth as this was pretty much a blur to me.

My dentist stayed on with the surgeon to discuss a couply of things about my case so i will find out what was said on the 8th (go back for a moredetailed discussion)

Hopefully when i go back in they can give me a good idea of what to expect and also prices and whether i can have surgery nhs or not. i will be paying for my braces tho

They did say they would take my wisdom teeth out very soon for free though lol they havent even grown yet but they said better to get rid of them.

has anyone else had a similar problem to me?

Kerry

#2 Post by Kerry »

oh dear it seems to have posted my topic quite a few times sorry :oops:

Kerry

#3 Post by Kerry »

i have been really impressed and i was very lucky to see the surgeon noyt sure if they do it very often but they did say its normaly only children which have surgery and not many adults opt for it.

My orthadontist dr cheung (hope it spelt right) is fantastic, he is hoping for my to get surgery on the nhs and was totally shooting questions out to the surgeon for me, i really think he cares for his patients.

the first practie i see i didnt have such a good experience though they had no sensitivity what so ever and i was told by them that the treatment i would probably need is to have my jaw broken top and bottem and also brace top and bottom (when infact i only need bottom jaw surgery)
She also saidto me your nose looks big (totally insulted i was) so i come back with oh i need a nose job too do i :lol: (wasnt funny at the time) she didnt pick her words very welll so i went for a second opions with dr cheung. IM SO GLAD I DID.

Anyway im getting over the shock and will go for my consultation to find out the in more detail what i shouldexpect and also to see about surgery.

sorry if the above is mish mash im shattered lol

Kerry

#4 Post by Kerry »

your totally right, i have the no chin thing going on at the moment haha and my nose yeh ok it does look slightly bigger due to the fact i have an under developed lower jaw.

the woman was very insensative and she could give somebody a really bad complex if she carrys on like that.

Any how i am totally fine and i know what i have to do, i was give four options from dr cheung

1. leave it as i am and my teeth wouldnt get any worse
2. have a brace and a implant to make room at the back for my teeth to move back
3. have braces and two teeth taken out
4. for perfect results have two teeth removed at the bottom and surgery.

obviously i want the best results so i would like to go the surgery route, only problem is funding and finding out how much it will cost or whether i can have this on the NHS. fingers crossed eh :P

i was actually advised of this site on the lookyourbest forum, il have to that the lad who gave me the link , this is is so helpfull.

Kerry

#5 Post by Kerry »

pictures

www.picturetrail.com/lady_dee_lusious

password lady_dee

my teeth.

sorry guys im having a ba in two weeks time and no you cant see my boobies haha

timsmith

#6 Post by timsmith »

Hi Kerry,

I think that I am about the same as you, maybe 12 months with braces, lower surgery to bring lower jaw forward by 6 to 8mm, continue with braces for another 6 months then fixed bonded retention top and bottom with a removable retainer on top for a while.

I have a more pronounced chin which covers most of my profile problem, my ortho said they may shave a bit off when they do the surgery to avoid the Dan Dare look!

I am adjusted to braces now, my mouth was a bit sore in the cheeks and back of the lips for around 5 weeks or so, now everything is much better.

Hope all goes well,

Tim

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

Kerry

#7 Post by Kerry »

thats correct

im a moderator on www.lookyourbestuk.com its site for most cosmetic surgery but not as good on the teeth department unfortunatly.

im glad i was advised of this forum as it will help me greatly. x

i do have proper pics which where taken proffessionally by my orthadontists but they would need to be scanned and i dont have a scanner lol

anyways, im back in to see him tonight and will update you.

pegasus

#8 Post by pegasus »

Your nose is not too big! The nerve of that person! Good luck with whatever decision you make-I know it will be the right one!

Kerry

#9 Post by Kerry »

thank you :) i hope it will all work out ok its such a hard thing to do at my age (22) but in the long run it will be the best. hopefully my boyfriend will still love me hehe