only 2 weeks and already want them off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetgirl

only 2 weeks and already want them off!

#1 Post by sweetgirl »

today marks my 2nd week in braces, and i already want them off!! i can't even stand it and am wondering what i've gotten myself into! unfortunately, there's no turning back because I had 3 teeth (actually a total of 7 when you count my wisdom teeth) extracted. i'm sooo bummed. one of the biggest (and completely unexpected) outcomes of getting braces has been my newly developed speech impediment--basically, i can't talk (at least not the way I used to). the only change i've noticed in my mouth is pain. eating is not the same. the process is way worse than i anticipated. i just don't think i have the patience to make it. :( what's worse is that i'll be headed to a grad program in late august--even though i'm 24, i'll look like a 16-year-old with missing teeth among a bunch of classmates in their late 20s/early 30s. what a bummer. how can i ever make it through 2 years of this when i'm ready for them to be off after 2 weeks?? :(

did anyone else feel this way?? :(

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

Sweetgirl - I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. The beginning really is the worst bit of braces. My guess is that you are feeling it more than most because of the extractions - your teeth are really on the move to fill in those spaces. Things will get better. Have you been doing salt water rinses? I know it sounds too simple to be true, but it really does help. It is hard, but try to reprogram yourself to see the discomfort in a postive light - when you have sore teeth they are moving and that means you are just that much closer to getting those suckers off. IF that doens't help, come here and vent to your hearts content!

acehigh

#3 Post by acehigh »

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I'm 4 1/2 months into braces, and believe me, things do get much, MUCH better with time. When I first had them put on, I came home, took one look in the mirror, and hit the panic button. I then went straight down to the ortho's office, and told him I wanted them out right away. (I was trying not to cry....lol....44 year old female here). Anyways, he told me to give it some time. At least a week, but of course that was just out of the question because my stress level had hit the roof. (I was very nice to the doctor, but I could sure feel my stomach getting very upset......lol). He gave me one hour, which during this time I went home. Good thing my daughter was home, because once she heard about my plans to have them removed, she was just shocked. She reminded me about my jaw problem getting worse, as well as my overbite.(overjet). She told me they looked good! :shock: Ohhhh the stress....i'll never forget it. Anyways, I left a message on the answering machine at the ortho's office telling them I would give it a week. It's almost 5 months later, and the changes have been amazing!! :lol: I am so glad I stuck with it you have no idea. I think one of my biggest problems was having other people get used to me. You know, people don't care! The braces may be the topic of conversation for all of one minute, then it's over. Hang in there!! :wink:

ariel86

#4 Post by ariel86 »

me ttoo today im 2 weeks into braces! ans for the first time tonight i am feeling like i want them off! the problem with my teeth is i have gaps between all my front upper teeth because they are protrusive. but they my teeth are nnot really crooked. the few teeth that were slightly crooked straightened in a few hours after putting the braces. the assistant told me when she put my braces that they wont start to be pushed back until like 3 months.... (treatment is supposed to be 10 months). so it only hurt me the first 2 days, i eat whatever i want, im used to brush like that, they are not too obvious they are ceramic... but i just feel less pretty and attractive it i feel very depressed!! so i keep telling myself the result will be worth it, but for 2 weeks all that happenend is the gap in the middle closed, on the same day i got brace (but for that te gaps on the 2 other sides got bigger!) and some spaces are easier to floss... nothing else...and it sucks to not see progress, maybe i would like it to hurt a little bit, i dont feel nothing from them... i feel like i just have stuff on my teeth for nothing and that it makes me less attractive... HELP!

BracesRacer

#5 Post by BracesRacer »

I have only had mine on for a month now and the first week or two were the harderst. After I saw how much improvement I made when I looked at my first day with braces compared to now... Its totally worth it! I am having jaw surgery as well... and thats really scary for me! Just hang in there and dont let the braces stop you. I had a hard time speaking a couple letters here and there but i have gotten used to the braces and I dont let them stop me. Its human nature to not want to change things you just have to fight it for a little while longer and it will get better.

Clairey Fairey

#6 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Give it time!! Your mouth needs to adjust but once it does you won't be able to even feel you have braces on, so naturally talking will impove and eating should definately improve in a few more weeks. If it was this painful throughout then surely everyone will be wanting their braces off, but most people have them on for at least a year, proving that it can't be that bad all the time!!

As for the brace look....I find that to me it feels likes a mouth full of metal and that if I smile, surely everyone will stare, but it turns out that hardly anyone even noticed and it turns out that people aren't bothered in the slightest and don't treat you differently at all!! Although it feels to me like i have somthing that sticks right out my mouth and surely everyone 'should be' staring.

Just think about why you got braces, I'm sure your wanting to corect problems your not happy with. Imagine how you'll feel the they come off. 2 years of braces (which does improve) but then the rest of your life feeling good about yourself with a nice, confident smile. It'll all be worth it :D

Ava

#7 Post by Ava »

oh, I really don't like it when people are negative, cos i tend to feed off that negativity! But I understand completely where you are coming from. I'm 20, so in comparison to some, I'm not that old, but in comparison to all my friends with beautiful smiles, I've left it sooo long to get braces! I KNOW ill be upset when I get my extractions and then eventually the braces, I am self-conscious as it is, but I know that I will have no choice but to get used to it. What you have to do is remain positive, think of something that will make you happy...mine is thinking about the perfect smile when i finally get married and in my wedding photos! Remember you are doing this for YOU not for ANYBODY else, and really, it is the other people and how we think that they see us that we have a problem with..when really, have you ever looked at someone with braces and thought "eww gross"...I think not. We grow up in this world where every second person has them or has had them, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Not to disregard your feelings, because, lets face it, we are bashful and self conscious about appearance,but time really does fly, and you WILL make it, and with a GREAT smile at the end.
Stay positive!!!

Tamiel34

#8 Post by Tamiel34 »

Tuesday made three weeks for me and believe me, it does get better! :D I went through the same thing you're going through now. When you don't see any movement and all you feel is discomfort, it's really hard to feel positive. But before you know it, you really forget you have braces on. That happened about a week and a half into it for me. Go and read some of the braces stories, it really gets you through the tough times! Hang in there!!! :D

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

I freaked out when I saw my teeth with brackets and no wire. I really wwas thinking that I'd have them take them off right there. Since I already paid the money I decided to just go home and sulk. After a week I still got annoyed and was very conscious of them. I'm at week 4 and they're alright. You just get used to having them around and forget you have them. Sometimes, that one lil tooth will ache and remind you that you're braced. But then, we're adults, we move on and live our lives.

payoki

for me

#10 Post by payoki »

when I got my wires in for the very first time, I actually had to take zoloft!
I'm claustrophic and getting braces somehow triggered horrible feelings I'd normally experience with claustrophobic attacks!
my heart began beating really fast and I was experiencing shortness of breath, I was in panic! and I cried I was so scared because I couldn't get the wires out...
and after 2years later, I sometimes forget that I'm even wearing one.^^
you'll feel better~ hang in there..
mother of one.

skibunnie29

#11 Post by skibunnie29 »

Hi,
I am one week today into my treatment. I really understand how you are feeling. I was feeling uncomfortable for the first day, or two. I found out I got a Sr. Level job I applied for before braces. After the pain meds wore off the reality of braces set in, and the realization of a new job. I wanted to get pliers and rip them off, the anxiety was that bad. I felt like I was being restrained, and stress was through the roof.

Since we are adults and support each other, I'll tell you my story. I had a panic attack with having braces, and getting a new job. I called my family dr and she prescribed me Klonopin for the anxiety, moving jobs is stressful and so is adult ortho treatment. I feel so much better. I do realize I'm doing something wonderful for myself. I'm taking care of my bite and hopefully my new peers and coworkers will see this as a positive thing. In all honesty my headaches have gone away because even after a week, I'm not grinding my teeth in my sleep anymore. There are positives to this treatment, the first week or two is the hardest. I'm starting to feel much better about it. I always say if the kids can do it in their teens we can do it as adults. Who would ever want to go back to HS and deal with Braces and HS politics. Poor kids. :) Hang in there.
Braced April 26th 2007
Inspire ICE on top.
Metal on bottom.

jbjalways

Re: only 2 weeks and already want them off!

#12 Post by jbjalways »

sweetgirl wrote:today marks my 2nd week in braces, and i already want them off!! i can't even stand it and am wondering what i've gotten myself into! unfortunately, there's no turning back because I had 3 teeth (actually a total of 7 when you count my wisdom teeth) extracted. i'm sooo bummed. one of the biggest (and completely unexpected) outcomes of getting braces has been my newly developed speech impediment--basically, i can't talk (at least not the way I used to). the only change i've noticed in my mouth is pain. eating is not the same. the process is way worse than i anticipated. i just don't think i have the patience to make it. :( what's worse is that i'll be headed to a grad program in late august--even though i'm 24, i'll look like a 16-year-old with missing teeth among a bunch of classmates in their late 20s/early 30s. what a bummer. how can i ever make it through 2 years of this when i'm ready for them to be off after 2 weeks?? :(

did anyone else feel this way?? :(
I was 33 when I got braces so 24 is not bad. I was really self conscious and I hated them for almost 3 months. I think it took me that long to get used to them. They still get sore once and a while, but the progress they made after three months made it all worth it. They did say I am progressing faster than expected so I hope to get them off sooner than original date 06/28/2008 yes that's an 8.

Don't worry it will get better!

Top after only 3 months

Bottom after only 3 months

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

kirjax

#13 Post by kirjax »

Ava wrote:oh, I really don't like it when people are negative, cos i tend to feed off that negativity! But I understand completely where you are coming from. I'm 20, so in comparison to some, I'm not that old, but in comparison to all my friends with beautiful smiles, I've left it sooo long to get braces! I KNOW ill be upset when I get my extractions and then eventually the braces, I am self-conscious as it is, but I know that I will have no choice but to get used to it. What you have to do is remain positive, think of something that will make you happy...mine is thinking about the perfect smile when i finally get married and in my wedding photos! Remember you are doing this for YOU not for ANYBODY else, and really, it is the other people and how we think that they see us that we have a problem with..when really, have you ever looked at someone with braces and thought "eww gross"...I think not. We grow up in this world where every second person has them or has had them, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Not to disregard your feelings, because, lets face it, we are bashful and self conscious about appearance,but time really does fly, and you WILL make it, and with a GREAT smile at the end.
Stay positive!!!
I couldn't agree with you more! I just got spacers yesterday and will be braced this friday. I am so nervous. I am afraid of looking ugly, afraid of talking funny, afraid people will not take me seriously. Like the OP I am 24 as well and waited and waited and waited and now I have finally made the decision to do something about it. I figured I'd never fully be happy with my appearance until I make some changes.

The spacers aren't pleasant but I know braces will be even worse so I am trying my best not to complain too much right now. I keep thinking the same thing as you Ava, about the day I can finally take a picture and think, my I have a beautiful smile. I want to be complimented on my smile. Even though some friends tell me I'm nuts for doing this I have to do this for me.

I am not saying I am not going to complain or be so frustrated myself that I'll want them ripped out but I just have to keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end. Unfortunately to be beautiful sometimes means having to go through a bit of pain.

kirjax

#14 Post by kirjax »

I have heard people tell me spacers are worse then braces and others say yeah right braces are by far the worst. I think it's different for everyone. Right now I'm pretty tolerable to them. I had them many many years ago when I had an expander and I remember them being horrible and crying all the time. This time (maybe bc I'm older) they are more annoying then bothersome. But I am going into day 2 and I can feel the tenderness settling in greatly. I can't eat ANYTHING and I'm already skinny I can't imagine what this will do to me!

KatK

#15 Post by KatK »

Hi There,

I'm also 24 and have just started an MBA program. I've had the same issues with eating not being the same, my talking is still not the same, etc. However, I can tell you that so far I've met a ton of people at Grad School and not one has given me any funny looks about my braces/slight speech problem (the talking thing has gotten WAY WAY better) Hang in there, it'll be worth it!!!! :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!