top teeth hitting bottom brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalchic

#31 Post by metalchic »

Ok, this has got to be the biggest pain in the rear for me since getting bracedon 4/19/07. I can't chew anything. My top teeth keep hitting my bottom brackets and what a pain!! I went back to my ortho this past Monday and he said the only real thing he could do would be to build up my back teeth until things started to shift into place. He said he really didn't want to do that because once things start to shift, everything will be fine. He also did not want to put anything over the brackets on the bottom (i.e. cushion) because he said it was just something extra to cause friction and rub against the brackets and could add to the chance I'd break a bracket off. He said to just be careful and try to deal with it for a few weeks and things would start to move. I don't know what to do. I am still only eating soft foods but I read where one girl here ate a daggone cheeseburger her first week - no fair :( Any suggestions? My teeth are not sore, I think I'm just paranoid at this point. :shock:

cally

#32 Post by cally »

Metalchic, I have the same problem with chewing. I was given a biteplate to prevent me from chewing off my bottom brackets, and consequently NONE of my teeth come close to meeting when I try to chew. Only one crooked lower tooth can contact the bite plate even at this point so you can see, chances for chewing ANYTHING is ZERO. I've not eaten anything more substantial than mushed mac and cheese since Tuesday because I just can't chew and have swallowing problems due to a medical condition. I'm very hungry for Mexican food and will be ordering the biggest PLATTER ever when things start moving and I can finally chew again.

In any case, you're not alone with your problem.

Cally

platinum

#33 Post by platinum »

CALLY:

I have a bite plate as well. And in the beginning only one tooth touchhed it. But I learned quite quickly to eat meat etc.

Shrike

#34 Post by Shrike »

I got braces on yesterday and i have the blue lumps on the back molars to prevent biting down on a lower front bracket. Its quite upsetting not being able to chew tho probably for the best since the teeth hurt so much if touched.
The thing i dont understand is how this is fixed? As far as i know i dont have any kind of overbite and the only way i can see to stop the top fronts from hitting the lower brackets is to specifically create an overbite so they miss. Its all confusing to me and thats whats affecting me most. I would have thought that the upper tooth and the lower tooth bracket thats being hit were 2 of the rare teeth in my head that were actually in their proper positions to begin with.

Anyway, nice to be here and hello all :)

Shrike

#35 Post by Shrike »

Meryaten wrote: Shrike, my guess is that maybe you have a deep bite? That is to say that (without the molar build-ups) your upper front teeth hide quite a lot of your lower front teeth when your close your teeth entirely? ....
Thanks for the info Meryaten. Now i think about it i think youd be correct in thinking its a deep bite, althought i dont think it was ever mentioned by my ortho. My assessment says that when i bite, my front upper and lowers have a good relationship and i have normal verticle overlap (overbite).
On closer inspection in relation to your info there, i notice that the 2 teeth that are hitting (upper no1 tooth and lower no1 bracket) are each slightly heightened and produce a slight kink in the wire. So hopefully thats all thats really needed to fix this issue. Youve helped take a weight off my mind :)

LaaLaa

#36 Post by LaaLaa »

Holy mother of pearl. :shock: Today, I had metal brackets put on my lowers and I'm really feeling it. Even just after an hour, I started feeling some pretty intense pressure on the front 6 teeth. OWWW!! :-((

I popped a few pain killers but they don't seem to be helping much and since I don't tolerate medication too well, I really can't go over 400mg of ibuprofen at a time each day or twice a day at the most. :( The upper two front teeth are definitely hitting a few of the bottom brackets in the front and I literally cannot chew anything!! Because my teeth simply don't even hit each other in the back, or anywhere else for that matter. :(

I'm eating soup with absolutely no chunks and smoothies that have been blended thoroughly. My doctor put these clear rubber protectors on two of the teeth on my bottom and I know it's going to help protect the brackets but they prevent me from chewing even more. Gosh, I really don't know what to do at this point. Everyone at my doctor's office said that my bottom 6 should start to move pretty quickly but in the meantime, are liquids the only option I have as far as eating?? My teeth hurt and on top of that I can't chew anything. :-((

metalchic

#37 Post by metalchic »

Oh heck. I hadn't even thought of this problem when I was thinking of getting braces. Good lord. The things I cannot chew. I get so frustrated to the point of tears because I cannot chew a simple tiny piece of chicken. My poor boyfriend has come to my rescue more than a number of times. Minced chicken and beans. Mushed mac and cheese. Luckily there are several mexican cheesy type dishes we can muster up. Again, this is killing my diet. I WANT SOME FRUIT and a big green salad..... :(

lea72104

#38 Post by lea72104 »

I found it easier to eat things in smaller bites. Cut the fruit into smaller pieces and chew with only your back molars...it's not easy at first but I got used to it and so will you!

metalchic

#39 Post by metalchic »

That sounds like a great idea but that's part of my problem. I am one of those lucky folks who had baby teeth either removed before being "braced" or had baby teeth that came out that no permanent teeth ever came in afterwards. So I am getting a double whammy. I need 3-4 implants once my teeth are in the proper alignment. Luckily those problems are in the back so noone ever knew about it but I sure know about it. But I will try cutting some fruit up and maybe chewing on my good side. My ortho says once my bottom starts to line up I will notice a big difference. :)

Maryannfromla

Re: top teeth hitting bottom brackets

#40 Post by Maryannfromla »

I got top and bottom braces last Friday. Friday night my bottom brackets broke because of my overbite also. I went back to the dentist Monday a m and he put a composit on both left and rt top canine teeth. It has been 2 days and it's wearing away.

LethalWeapon

top teeth hitting bottom brackets

#41 Post by LethalWeapon »

I got my braces on 3 months ago, and just like many of you, my top teeth were hitting my bottom braces. When my orthodontist finished putting my braces on, he noticed so he attached some metal pieces to my top molars, which prevent me from closing my mouth completely. It felt a little weird but I got used to it pretty quickly. He also gave me a headgear I had to use at night which felt horrible at first. My orthodontist removed the metal pieces and the headgear about 2 months afterwards and now that my teeth have moved they don’t hit anymore. It takes a while, but then the issue stops.