Ceramics or Metal?I can't make up my mind!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jumbie

Ceramics or Metal?I can't make up my mind!

#1 Post by jumbie »

So tomorrow I will be getting my upper teeth bracketed with ceramics. However, I still have not decided what I'll be doing with the bottom teeth. My bottom teeth are the real problem area, My top teeth look near perfect, I just happen to have a deep overbite that needs to be adjusted so I won' t bite the bottom brackets off. So I have to decide whether to use metal brackets on the bottom for speed or ceramics for cosmetic looks.
My estimated treatment time is 2 years. I dunno, maybe I will have a better idea once I get the ceramics on top? My smile is almost all top teeth but I am afraid this will change with the braces and if I have metal at the bottom it will be more obvious.

Cynnamin

#2 Post by Cynnamin »

I have ceramics on top and metal on bottom. My ortho does not do ceramics on bottom because they are more likely to pop off or be damaged (he says, anyway). My metal bottoms are barely noticeable when I smile and when they do show, if folks don't know I have braces (most thing I just wear a retainer), usually no one comments on it. Most everyone I encounter says they are not noticeable at all. I almost wish I had gone metal on top for speed but I really love how the ceramics look.

embraced3

#3 Post by embraced3 »

hi jumbie, it really is up to you. i personally chose to have ceramics on top and metal on bottom, mainly because metals are less expensive and because when i smile, you can't really see the bottoms anyway. i think i also heard something about ceramics on the bottom breaking easily from the top from teeth hitting them, or that they can maybe damage the bottoms of the top front teeth if they hit them. i'm not actually sure about this, may just not be remembering correctly. it really is all a matter of what you prefer in the end--lots of people get full ceramics, or top ceramics and bottom metal...just do what you think will be best for you! good luck with whatever it is you choose! :D

IndyBraceFace

#4 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I am very happy with my ceramic uppers and metal lowers, but it has to be a personal choice.

jumbie

#5 Post by jumbie »

oops! :shock: I got banded today, thought I was getting braced and banded. I paid down for the combo ceramic and metal but left the option open to upgrade to all ceramic.

http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com/

Cynnamin

#6 Post by Cynnamin »

Good plan! Very cool blog, too!

timsmith

#7 Post by timsmith »

Hi Jumbie,

I have the same dilemma as you, my braces are scheduled for the 15th March and I cannot make up my mind about the top, ceramic or metal. My ortho says he usually goes for metal bottom and ceramic upper for adults. He says that there is not much translation required on the upper so it is really up to me. My concerns about the ceramic are that they are more bulky and that despite what the ortho says about staining, the ligs will discolour between appointments. The metal self ligatating brackets are smaller and let's face it, when you are talking to someone at 3 feet distance, it does not matter whether you have metal or ceramic, your braces are obvious. I see from most of the posts on the website that the ladies generally prefer ceramic but not all. I do not see too many posts from the guy's!

So for a 48 year old newbie that is less than a week away for the install day, what do I go for!!

The ortho says I can make the final decision in the chair, maybe I'll get him to put the lower ones on first and then make the final decision.

Tim

bracesafter40

Re: Ceramics or Metal?I can't make up my mind!

#8 Post by bracesafter40 »

jumbie wrote:So tomorrow I will be getting my upper teeth bracketed with ceramics. However, I still have not decided what I'll be doing with the bottom teeth. My bottom teeth are the real problem area, My top teeth look near perfect, I just happen to have a deep overbite that needs to be adjusted so I won' t bite the bottom brackets off. So I have to decide whether to use metal brackets on the bottom for speed or ceramics for cosmetic looks.
My estimated treatment time is 2 years. I dunno, maybe I will have a better idea once I get the ceramics on top? My smile is almost all top teeth but I am afraid this will change with the braces and if I have metal at the bottom it will be more obvious.
Get metal on both; I have metal top and love them, getting metal bottoms too...My treatment is 2.5 years and just started 11 days ago.

Ives

#9 Post by Ives »

So Jumbie, what did you decide to go with. I have clear tops and metal bottoms.

Tim, from one guy to another, just get whatever you want. It's totally a personnal choice. The only real diff between the two are
1. Cosmetic
2. Size

The ceramics are a little bulkier but not bad. Which ever one is going to make you feel better about wearing them is the one to go with. But really, after they've been on awhile you will not even think about them. It's only been a week for me and I'm allready getting used to them. People ask me how my mouth is doing and I have to think about it before answering.
I might think differently after first adjustment though. :lol:

I will tell you this though, the ceramics are pretty much invisible until your up close to people talking. I had one guy staring at my mouth while talking to me and finally asked if I had braces. I opened my mouth and he actually had to lean in a little to see the uppers.
Hope this helps

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

timsmith

#10 Post by timsmith »

Thanks Ives,

Your advice is good, I just have to figure out which I am more comfortable with.

Tim

jumbie

#11 Post by jumbie »

I STILL have not entirely decided on it but I paid my deposit and signed my contract for the ceramic top and metal bottom. I honestly don't know if I will make up my mind until I actually have some brackets on my teeth to see how they look and feel. I guess I have a bit of an advantage being able to put on the uppers first instead of all at once. I think the combo is a good compromise since I am concerned about BOTH aesthetics and speed.
There is no doubt in my mind that the ortho will be willing to take more of my money if i want to go with all ceramics lol! I reserved the right to change my mind but I have the feeling I iwll end up with the combo.

Kat

#12 Post by Kat »

I have the ceramic on the tops and 4 months later had the bottoms installed they are metal. My ortho says it's a good way to go and he is completely correct. For me the ceramics are large in my mouth. On the bottoms if I had gone with ceramics it would have been a mistake. I like the metals in the bottoms. No one notices them unless I really want them to by smiling real wide. Hey we have braces it's there. I saved $500.00 by staying with the metals on the bottom but money was NOT the issue here comfort was. And I would NOT go with the ceramics on the bottoms if my ortho offered them for free today. The metals are a little ruffer in the begining but after almost a month with them on they are fine.
The hooks are zero problems. You get used to them just like you will the ceramics on your tops. I do like that they are smaller in my mouth. They don't have the dingy look like the top ceramics with the wrong color ligs.
No question here, ceramics on top and metals on the bottom.

timsmith

#13 Post by timsmith »

KK,

I do trust my ortho, at least a lot more than the other two I consulted with.

I think the larger surface area argument is a good one, less pounds per square inch is better for sure. Also, with ceramics that use ligatures the archwire is close to the surface of the bracket, this also will help spread the pressure. If I went for metal I think they would be self lig types which means the archwire is further back in the bracket so the actual bracket area pressing on the lip is much smaller.

I think i just made my decision, go the the ortho's advice!

I'll let you know what happens on the 15th.

Tim