Reactions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

Reactions

#1 Post by gunter8888 »

I have had a couple of experiences in the past week that I thought were notable and though I would share them with you.

I got my top braces about 2 weeks ago. Before then, my bottoms and my expander were fairly well hidden so to most folks my braces are new.

Last week I was helping out my uncle at a boat & fishing expo (he runs a fishing lodge in Alaska). No one asked or commented about my braces, but I could tell that many of the people I spoke to were looking at them. It didn't bother me, but it was my first experience around people I don't see everyday (home, work, etc).

People around the office have been most interesting. One of my good friends at work noticed them the morning after I got the braces and was really happy for me. I hadn't said anything to her about getting them so she was a little surprised, but she revealed that she had braces in her 20s (now in her early 40s) and that even though they were rough at times they were well worth it.

Another coworker was on vacation when I got them and just returned yesterday. As we were talking she excitedly interupted, "Hey, you got your braces!" (I had told her that I was getting them). She has the most beautiful teeth I have ever seen and it was great to have her get so excited for me. She told me today that she has decided to see an ortho because since having braces in her teens one of her teeth has moved a little.

Finally, a woman in another department that I rarely speak with came to my desk today and immediately noticed my braces. She's a very gregarious and outspoken lady so I was fearful of what she might say. To my delight she simply asked, "When did you get braces?" I answered and she replied, "I had them as an adult too. Are you doing okay?" She was so sincere and we talked about them for a few minutes. I am still amazed at how supportive people are. I wasn't expecting people to poke fun or anything negative, but the level of positive response has been wonderful!

Sorry for the long post, but I am really pleased and I hope that these experiences of mine can help someone who may be debating getting braced. Most people seem to be very supportive of others taking care of themselves.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Isn't that fantastic Gunter??

Your story sounds exactly like mine...minus the fishing expo part... :wink:

You will get the same enthusiastic reactions and comments when you get them off! I had people stop mid sentence, grab my arm and make eye contact and tell me how wonderful my teeth looked.

It truly IS worth it!

It is a big help when others share that they too had braces as an adult. I feel like it's my turn to do the same to the new ones.

Glad it is all going so nicely for you!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Tin Indian

#3 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Whay to go Gunter!!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi gunter8888,

I'm so glad you have received positive responses about your braces. Regarding the people at the fishing expo, just curious, were they mostly men (nothing personal to the men out there)? If they were, sometimes men just don't know what to say in these type of situations. Not to say they are not happy for you doing something good for yourself, which I'm sure they are.

I always tell myself that saying something kind and being supportive to a person can go a long way. I'm sure with all of the kind words and support you have received, I'm sure you agree with me.

ssfw
Last edited by ssfw on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Rstar

#5 Post by Rstar »

I'm still terrified [wink/]

great story - reassuring, to be sure. I am trying to figure out my b-day date - easy tp delay, which seems silly, actually it is silly .

Ives

#6 Post by Ives »

It's good to be reminded that people in general really are good natured. :)

The guys I work with can be really smart a__'s , myself included. We all give each other a lot of gruf but laugh about it while were giving it. Whenever I mention getting braces soon, everyone has positive stuff to say. This might change after there actually in, but I don't think so. The one thing I noticed is without fail, everyone immediatly looks at my mouth as soon as I say the word braces. Human nature, I would do the same thing I think.

Hey Gunter, what part of Utah you from, im in SLC.

chicklets

#7 Post by chicklets »

That's so great, Gunter. I hope the comments I get are equally as positive. :dance:
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

ema27

#8 Post by ema27 »

gunter i too was unsure of comments or responses i would get from wearing braces.Every one has been great.I have had congratulations( why im unsure!!) i have had several people say the admire me for what im putting myself through(im having lower jaw surgery too)
I guess people like to tell you that they arent bothered and in my case people not even friends( just other mums at the school gate!) let me know that braces arent and dont need to be a big deal..
Its true others who have been through braces like to tell you their story..even if you dont want to hear it!!!!

good luck with the rest of your journey!!!!!!! :D

Willz

#9 Post by Willz »

I'm a teacher and the most funny reactions I get are from kids. Some have had experience with braces and some haven't. The little ones (5 and 6 yrs old) often ask what they are and if they come off lol.

The most funny story was the day after my braces went on I went to work and one little boy goes "Do you know you've got braces on your teeth!" I replied "No, I woke up this morning and they were just there!" Poor kid, I had to explain after that hehe.

Keith

#10 Post by Keith »

I was also most pleased with people's reactions. It feels good when people give positive feedback like that, and it also makes you feel like it isn't a big deal.

When I got my braces off, I got even nicer reactions, so keep in mind that there will be even more exciting reactions!

PfectPitch

#11 Post by PfectPitch »

Gunther: Maybe the fishing guys were actually thinking, "Hey, I wonder how I'd look with great teeth..." and secretly admiring your decision to go for it.