help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jayde26

help!

#1 Post by jayde26 »

Im due to get a brace in a few weeks time, I have had 3 teeth taken out and i had 1 tooth that had never came through that they decided to take out on the top, i recieved 12 stitches. I was told it would take the stitches 4-6 weeks to dissolve but they have started coming out now, only a week later so im abit worried. I have been told i will have to wear my brace for 2 years, on both top and bottom, I only have 2 gaps on the right of my mouth to close.
I dont know nothing about braces so im abit worried about getting them put on, are they painful? How do they put them on? I am getting train tracks. Once there on is there anything i should know. Heelllppp!!

ema27

#2 Post by ema27 »

Hi there welcome to the world of braces. iv had braces on for just over a week and its no big deal..honestly.
When you get them on it doesnt hurt at all-they clean your teeth and then open your mouth wide with a plastic lip spreader-sounds awful but its not!!!!then they dry your teeth with some hose thingy!.dab a bit a glue on each tooth put the brackets on then put the wire through!!!
im sure someone else will go in to more detail about it but honestly theres nothing to worry about.At first i felt wierd like my teeth were obvious from a mile away!Their not!)but that feeling lasted 2 days tops.Iv heard stories about not being able to eat properly and teeth soreetc-well from my experience i found none of it true and having braces so far has been a breeze!!
Everyone has a different story though and we are all different so i cant say weather youll be painfree!!!!
One thing id recommend is salt water rinses they really help toughen up your teeth and gums!

all the best ema

PrincessMelody

#3 Post by PrincessMelody »

As a response to your concern with the sutures, the ones from my wisdom tooth extraction came out about 10 days after surgery. I don't thinky you need to worry. I only had 3, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if you are concerned give your oral surgeon (or whoever did the extractions) a call. They should have had you come in about a week post extraction anyways to check the sites and such and make sure they are healing okay. So give them a call just to put your mind at ease.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

jayde26

#4 Post by jayde26 »

Thanx for all your help, i feel a little more at ease now. I really appreciate it.

choccyface

#5 Post by choccyface »

Hi,

I had my braces fitted top and bottom three weeks ago, three weeks after 6 extractions and loads of stitches. The stitches dissolved after about 10 days and were all gone in about two weeks so don't worry about it not taking as long as you were told.

Follow the advice here on brace days and you'll be fine (wish I had known to slap loads of lip balm on first as my lips dried up like prunes) Good luck!

Sarah

jayde26

#6 Post by jayde26 »

are they painful? Have you started to notice any changes in your teeth yet? How long do you have to keep yours on?

invisagirl

#7 Post by invisagirl »

Don't worry about the stitches coming loose. When I had an implant some of my stitches fell out after a week and I was all worried but when I called the dr they told me that if they fell out that was o.k. cause it was the body's way of telling me it didn't need them anymore. :lol:

Good luck on the braces journey!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

taylorhl25

#8 Post by taylorhl25 »

Hi I have noticed your from the UK and I congratulate you for taking this step to get braces fitted, here in the UK we are almost made to feel that braces are for kids and we will look horrible with a mouthful of metal. . . BUT it is not like that I am 29 years old and have been putting off getting mine sorted for 10 years and I have now decided to do this and in 25 days I will have my Damon3 system fitted on upper and lowers. Braces are so advanced and you can get so many different types and if you have a great Ortho they will talk to you and choose the right system for you.

Good luck and if you get any advice from this site, take it. . . everyone here has been through what we are beginning and are so lovely and even if you just want to vent after a bad day, here is the place to do it :wink:

joney

#9 Post by joney »

here in the UK we are almost made to feel that braces are for kids
Very true

In fact somebody asked me the other day if I was not a bit old for a brace!
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

jayde26

#10 Post by jayde26 »

how old are you? Im 26, which is abit old i suppose. I have always had compliments about my teeth but they were overcrowded were others couldn't see. I was supposed to get braces when i was a kid but refused.

joney

#11 Post by joney »

Jayde, I'm 42, no spring chicken but not exactly over the hill. The person who made the comment said that they thought that braces were only for teenagers. To be fair I didn't know myself that adults could be treated just as easilly as kids until I saw my daughter's ortho, who is about my age wearing an uppper brace. It was then that I made enquiries and she told me that there is absolutely no reason why adult teeth can't be treated. Nearly 3 months done the line since my braces went on and I have seen dramatic movement in my very crooked teeth.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

smallbutmighty

#12 Post by smallbutmighty »

Hi Jayde,
GLad to hear you are doing this for yourself. I am not from the UK (was there for 30 days, loved every minute and want to return some day). I am almost 65 and have been braced (lowers) for 3 weeks. Some days are really easy, some are irritating. Hardly anyone notices or says anything if they do notice the hardware. It is truly amazing what can be accomplished, and the more you read through this site, the more informed and amazed you will be too. Never be afraid to ask questions of your ortho care providers. They have a responsibility to you to inform you of your options and what they plan for each step of the way. And if you have any concerns outside of office hours, someone should still respond to your call. Best of luck and keep in touch with the forum. We are intereted in sharing your experiences.
Ruth :D

jayde26

#13 Post by jayde26 »

I can't believe how friendly everybody has been, thank you for all your replies. I have been told I will have to wear my braces for 2 years but after reading they say that your top moves quicker than the bottom. I feel I know alot more since visiting this site so i will have a alot of questions to ask now when i go back. Thank you again!!