Loose spacers.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ck9486

Loose spacers.

#1 Post by ck9486 »

At my last dental visit, I had 2 spacers put on my lower central incisor. One of the spacers came loose and is missing, most likely happening during my sleep. Now the other remaining spacer often comes loose and will not stay put. Are spacers supposed to become loose, or is there something that needs to be brought up with the dentist?

She Waits

#2 Post by She Waits »

Hi ck9486 :) ! What is the length of time since your last dental visit? When I had my spacers put in (four at once!) I had asked my orthodontist is it alright if the spacers became loose and fell out. He told me that it was okay - this meant the spacers had served their purpose (creating a gap). However, I agree with KK, you should give your orthodontist a call to follow up on the matter.

thesallymonster

#3 Post by thesallymonster »

My ortho told me not to worry about it if one of my (eight!) spacers falls out, because, as She Waits said, "the spacers had served their purpose (creating a gap)". But since you seem to not have been told that, give your ortho a call just to be safe.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

ck9486

#4 Post by ck9486 »

Despite the missing spacer and one that won't stay put anymore, they were both in there long enough to create a gap so should be okay then huh?

Kiwi, I think mine were put in to try to twist the tooth a certain way. I'm not sure though.

Nawners

#5 Post by Nawners »

In regards to loose spacers, does anyone know how long the gaps they create will stay open? My b-day isn't for 8 days, but out of the 4 that I have, two are about ready to fall out...
If they do, I would potentially have to go all weekend without them.
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

pilotgurl

#6 Post by pilotgurl »

Mine stayed open for about five minutes.