Cephalometric measurements

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

broochie

Cephalometric measurements

#1 Post by broochie »

Hi all,

I've been in braces for almost 7 months now and bimaxillary surgery may be further down the road. I was referred to an out-of-town oral surgeon who did what is called a "paper consultation", i.e. after getting photos, panos, ceph, etc. from the ortho, he sends back a proposed treatment plan, both to the ortho and me. Since I want to understand as much as possible before agreeing or not to everything, I asked the OS to send me also the ceph drawings with all the ceph numbers and measurements (about 50). But I have trouble identifying which point represents what. Can anyone here help me with that? Meryaten or Rory maybe? I searched the Internet, found some stuff, but nothing very comprehensive.
Thanks in advance.

Rickysa

#2 Post by Rickysa »

Broochie,

Cephs are used for a number of things...primarily to evaluate tooth position relative to their bony bases (are they to forward/back etc.), as well as to assess how the jaws fit together (too small/large etc.), and soft tissue profiles

Most things are measured with both angular measurements and linear measurements.

There are many different analyses that can be used to crunch the numbers for an overall summary of how things are put together. If you have any particular questions, shoot me a PM.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)