How did you feel when you saw the first photo of your teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KK Cat

#16 Post by KK Cat »

I saw the photos taken at my records visit (shown on orthos Mac in super dooper giant size just to really rub it in :roll: hmm :wink: ) and he also had the plaster moulds but I didn't see the x-rays. Actually I was quite reassured as I always imagined my teeth to be so bad (very crooked) but ortho said mine was a case he really likes, the alignment looks bad but he says these are the easiest cases to fix and the difference will be so dramatic. I hadn't even realised that I have an overjet too (9mm) as I have always been so fixated on the alignment (or lack thereof :paperbag: )

I didn't really get a shock until I took my own photographs at home a few weeks later before my extractions. The ortho hadn't shown me any side profile photos, but when I saw the side profile photos I took myself....... :yikes: oh my God, awful. I hadn't (obviously) been looking forward to the extractions, but that totally convinced me I was doing the right thing.
Last edited by KK Cat on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

jennandtonic

#17 Post by jennandtonic »

I had an idea of how bad they are, as you could tell by my smile that my top teeth were angled away from each other and I knew about my problems that I had with chewing and other such issues, but it didn't help to see the really close up pictures for the first time.

So the answer is, I wasn't shocked, just...enlightened. Hahaha.

jumbie

#18 Post by jumbie »

I had a consult about 3 years ago and put off having braces. I suspected that my lower incisiors weres continuing to displace and rotate and went back to revisit the idea. When I walked in and saw my old xrays I just asked 'Where do i sign?'. I could not believe that my overjet looked that bad from the side.(They do say the xrays exaggerate it a bit as you see straight to the root) Al i could think is that if they look like that then , i don't even want to think what it looks like now.
I ended up at another ortho who did my moulds. I also thought that they brought the wrong ones. In 3D its even more glaring.That was when I realised my top teeth had started rotating as well and a molar was almost rotated 90 degrees. Even though visaully they did not look that bad, technically they were in a mess.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

MsViola

#19 Post by MsViola »

Glad you took the plunge. I guess we learn to live with what we have and don't really know how bad it is until we start to fix the problem. I got a big boost when I noticed that I no longer have an overjet. Unfortunately, although the overbite is improved, I have a long, long, long way to go.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

callmeswtmisery

#20 Post by callmeswtmisery »

MsViola,

Thank you so much for stopping by my page.

I just got done reading your story. I really want to see before pic's, so that I can see the process. I feel the way you felt in the beginning. I don't see any changes in my teeth right now, and I'm reading all of these stories online and people have change within a month. To be honest with you both of our stories sound the same. So I will be looking forward to see a change in my teeth 3 years from now. How long did the dentist say that you have to wear them for?

callmeswtmisery

#21 Post by callmeswtmisery »

Ms Viola,

By the way your teeth right now look amazing!!!!!

MsViola

#22 Post by MsViola »

My Ortho originally estimated 24-30 months. I am up to 36 months now :(

I wish I could say those teeth are mine :cry: I need to change my pic back to the viola. I actually have clear brackets on the top. To my credit my teeth are straight :jump: I still have an overbite but you would never know by looking at my real pics. I have learned to adjust :lol: .

Don't give up hope, you will see changes soon.

callmeswtmisery

#23 Post by callmeswtmisery »

What made your Ortho change your time frame?

I really want to see a pic! You have me looking forward to my 3rd adjustment now! LOL

MsViola

#24 Post by MsViola »

Callmes: My extraction gaps seem to like staying where they are :( so it seems like they are going to need more time to become convinced that they need to close.

I am ashamed :oops: to say it now, but I have not been taking pics of my progress. I lost my camera on a cruise 2 months before I was braced. By the time I got another camera, I had pretty much forgotten about pics. I guess that should be my new goal.

*melissa*

#25 Post by *melissa* »

I already hated my teeth, so it wasnt shocking or anything. I always look at myself in the mirror everyday so it wasnt a big suprise or anything.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#26 Post by blindboarder2008 »

my ortho doctor put up my pictures on a huge board thinger and on his computer. well having very limited site, it was hard to see but my mom came with me and was able to see my pics, she commented how bad they actually were, worse then what we actually thought they were. Like we knew i had a bit of an overbite, but we didn't really realize it was actually that bad. When i went and met my dental surgeon he did something really awesome for me as it was really hard to see my x rays. He had a model of a human jaw bone and he was able to set up the jaws around so that it looked pretty much the same as my jaws were. This made things a lot easier cuz if i wasn't able to see it i could definety feel it. I was actually amazed and in shock as to how bad my mouth was. Now that I have braces and have already got my first adjustment i have noticed good change already! I'm very very happy and excited about this! I can't wait till the end result and debonding brace day! It will be great to have a nice smile!! I have a long road and difficult treatment ahead of me in the next year and 4 months but i ultimately know it will all be worth it in the end!! I think that is the major thing that is really keeping me going!!! Plust I have all of you on here to talk to when i need support or if i have any questions!! So it will all work out in the end!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

MsViola

#27 Post by MsViola »

I can't wait to see major improvement in my profile. It is good to know that I am looking less like "Bucky the Beaver" each day :-)o

Jessiemae

#28 Post by Jessiemae »

I didn't see the records pics thank God lol
That def was a traumtic experience...having to smile BIG for the camera...ugh. And having those mirrors shoved in there...I hate cameras as it is! I hope my ortho doesn't have mine up on the pc when I go in...my ex rays sure look funny though :P
Can't wait to get these things on!

MsViola

#29 Post by MsViola »

Unfortunately my pics (6) views of everything, including profile shots are attached to my file. The file is put in the holder at the station. I have the added "blessing" :roll: of seeing those pics each and everytime I visit my Ortho.

Fun, fun, fun........Not!!!

ssfw

#30 Post by ssfw »

When I went in for my records appt., I knew I had an overjet and some crowding, but, seeing the close-up photos of my teeth, the molds of my teeth and x-rays was a bit surprising. I didn't think my teeth looked that bad until this appt. I had a 5 mm overjet and that was my main reason for looking into getting braces. The photos, x-rays and molds really showed me that I had a major overjet. I didn't realize I also had a cross bite. I was just glad that I took the first step and went in for the consultation. I do have to admit, it took me a few months to finally decide to proceed with orthodontic treatment and there hasn't been a day that has gone by that I have ever regretted this decision.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08