Ok to sleep with mouth partly opened? Decay?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Ok to sleep with mouth partly opened? Decay?

#1 Post by Kat »

I'm reading that sleeping with your mouth opened promoted decay!
Is it true?
Since braced I now sleep with my lips slightly opened (woke myself up snoring!!!)

Anyways, I know that they are dry as all and this makes for decay.
Correct?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I don't think so.

Certainly, you can get dry mouth - as a nocturnal mouth breather of some longstanding, I know this to be true.

I had several fillings done in my teens, but have had no new ones since then. I put this down to a combination of fluoride in the water and following a rigorous oral hygiene routine over the last 20 plus years.

My OH on the other hand - not a mouth breather - has a filling in just about every tooth and a few restorations to boot.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

lisaemtp

#3 Post by lisaemtp »

I've never heard that before...I hope its not true, as I've been trying to intentionally sleep with my mouth open recently because I've been clenching so badly! Any of the orthos on the board have an opinion?

Lisa

Ronsie

#4 Post by Ronsie »

I would recommend trying Biotene dry mouth gel before bed at night. I sleep with my mouth open because of sinus problems and it has only been worse with the braces. And...ugh!...sleeping with the mouth open also promotes bad breath. I thickly spread the gel on the front of my teeth before bed and it really helps!

rsprouse

Re: Ok to sleep with mouth partly opened? Decay?

#5 Post by rsprouse »

I'm reading that sleeping with your mouth opened promoted decay!
Is it true?
Since braced I now sleep with my lips slightly opened (woke myself up snoring!!!)

Anyways, I know that they are dry as all and this makes for decay.
Correct?
One of the functions of saliva is to act as a lubricant of the oral cavity and help wash away bacteria that can accumulate on your teeth (especially Strep Mutans). Anytime you have a condition that promotes Xerostomia you increase your risk for decay. That being said, Xerostomia is very different when caused by medications vs. naturally. I would venture to say that you are only at a slightly higher carries risk assuming you are well moistened during the day and would not worry about it. If you are concerned and want a little extra protection then a rinse with Crest Oral Health or other OTC mouthrinse that coats your teeth with either CPC or Chlorohexidine can offer a bit of protection. Or a moisturizing rinse such as Oasis, Biotene, or some BreathRX flavors may help.

Good Luck,
Rory

SherwoodForest

#6 Post by SherwoodForest »

Hmm...I didn't know Biotene made a dry mouth gel. Is that just the toothpaste, or something else? I've been using the toothpaste and mouthwash, and I still have dry mouth. But I sleep with my mouth open, so mouthwash and toothpaste won't help much.

JoeMama

#7 Post by JoeMama »

I tend to sleep with my mouth open too now that I have braces. My dentist told me that keeping your teeth "moist" helps to prevent cavities. She gave me a flouride rinse to use while I'm in braces. I personally don't know whether this is true or not, just relaying the info.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.