clear or metal brackets on the lower teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MarvinBrace

clear or metal brackets on the lower teeth?

#1 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi all,

i'm just going to get braces in december. i'm sure i want clear/ceramics on the upper teeth, BUT not sure what i want on the lower ones. :roll:

i read alot of your posts and i can see that alot of people have clear(upper) and metal (lower) is there a reason why?
Or is it just a coincidence?

if there is anybody with clear (lower) i want to know if its too bulky or is it ok? :)

Thanks for reading my post. :lol:

OctoberMM

#2 Post by OctoberMM »

I was told that the metal brackets will break before your teeth will break, whereas the ceramic brackets won't.

Kat

#3 Post by Kat »

I think it's the other way around. The ceramics will break apart where as the metal are just that metal.

I have the clear ceramics on top.
They are bigger than the metal ones. I am due before long to have my bottoms installed and I am going with the metal ones. The smallest one I can get.

I do like the ceramics on the tops but as stated above they are big and I don't see them being comfy in any way on the bottoms.
My ortho sugested the metals on the bottoms.
Only problem I'm having is that I really don't want to see these things and the silver brackets show as we all know.

I fell out when we put a darker silver lig on my ceramic uppers BUT I need to choose and the choice has been made-they will be metal because of size and I do not want the sharp ass edges I get with these ceramics on my bottoms.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

MB. I have ceramics on 8 of my lower teeth (front ones), and metal on the rest. Like everything, it was matter of getting used to them. Not having anything to compare them to, I'm not sure whether all metal would have been different.

MarvinBrace

#5 Post by MarvinBrace »

Thanks all for your answers. :-**
I think like KK said; i will go and ask my ortho.
I have an app. on the 4th dec, so i will just ask him and if its my choice i think i go with ceramics lower.
Maybe tommorrow i will change my mind (thats nothing NEW for me in these days) :D

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

The ceramic brackets can often be more expensive than the metal. So if the ortho charges extra for ceramics, that can influence your decision. My ortho said it would be $350 extra to do ceramics on the front 6 uppers. I don't even want to know how much it would be to go all ceramic! But many people choose to go with ceramic just on the front uppers, or just on the uppers, because it is a balance between appearance and cost.

erik

#7 Post by erik »

I have ceramics top and bottom. My upper ones are totally comfortable and I mostly forget they are there. Seems like there is more room for some reason.

But the bottoms are more noticable, I always feel them. If I had been paying more attention, I might have looked at the models to see the size difference.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have went metal on the bottom.

Erik

Ronsie

#8 Post by Ronsie »

I have all ceramic. They are comfortable and I do like them.
But, as others have said, I would ask your ortho. There might be issues where they might recommend one over the other. Good luck!

allegro

#9 Post by allegro »

My ortho said he doesn't do them on the bottom because they cause a lot of irregular wear (for whatever reason) on your upper teeth as things shift and you get weird bites along the way. I would've done the metal anyway because it was $500 cheaper to do so at each place I consulted. I don't have any regrets about it at all, and I am VERY self concious about my teeth. You hardly ever see them, plus they're much smaller than the ceramic ones I have on top (Clarity), so not as much rubbing and poking on my poor cheeks.