Just Got Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OctoberMM

Just Got Braces

#1 Post by OctoberMM »

Hello, my name is Peter.

I'm 17 years old, and I just got braces today (college will be a blast).

I have a few questions:

· I can feel my teeth "clicking" and loosening, is this normal?
· My top teeth hit my bottom brackets when I chew or bite, when will this stop (I don't have the top wire in yet).
· When does the pain stop?
· Is there anything I can do (rubber bands?) to speed up the process?
· Lastly, which is better - CSI Vegas or New York?

Anyway, glad I found this site, and thanks for the help!

-Peter

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Some people say their teeth feel loose. Mine don't, but they feel strange without the bite plate.
As for teeth hitting, it depends on your mouth. With my grinding, that would be a problem.
Pain....what pain? Seriously I had about a day with my top arch that was a bit of a problem. My bottom arch took about a week to feel right.

To speed up the process, do what your ortho says. What may work for one won't work for another. For example I know of a boy who was told to push his teeth in with his hand. May work for him but I'm trying to get my teeth to move out.

Best three letter titled TV show....ALF. What's a CSI?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

OctoberMM

#3 Post by OctoberMM »

What's ALF?

And thanks for the advice - I just want to get this over with (only 2 years left!). :roll:

Anyone else?

wonderstuf

#4 Post by wonderstuf »

Congratulations, Ninja! College will be a blast, braces or no. :) I can try to answer some of your questions:

--Not sure about teeth clicking, but a bit of loosening is pretty much par for the course
--I have the same problem about hitting brackets. I asked my ortho's assistant, and she said sometimes they'll hit and sometimes they won't, depends on where teeth are moving
--CSI Vegas, though I haven't seen it in a while

OctoberMM

#5 Post by OctoberMM »

CSI Vegas, though I haven't seen it in a while
Agreed. About the hitting - do I need my top wire in before that will change?

A part of me loves the braces: they feel kinda cool, although I'm sure my opinion on that will change. Also, I'm glad I'm getting everything "straightened out."

And then there's the part that hates them: I can't eat, sleep, smile, etc. They hurt constantly and aren't exactly in style. Also, the fact that I have two more years doesn't help - they'll be off by the time Bush gets out of office.

And their approval ratings are about the same.

-Peter

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

No braces here yet, but I've been doing lots of reading.

Apparently many people feel like their teeth are loose, and some feel clicking.

Pain should get better in a few days to a week. May come back briefly after adjustments. If it's pain in your lips and teeth, use wax and rinse with warm salt water. If it's pain in your teeth, take an over the counter pain reliever.

Don't do anything your ortho didn't tell you to do. If rubberbands are needed in your case, you will get them. Adding on your own features to your braces could make your teeth move the wrong way. And moving your teeth too fast can cause serious and permanent damage.

CSI NY is awful. I like the other two okay, though. And you're at least 7 years too young to remember ALF, so don't worry about that.

OctoberMM

#7 Post by OctoberMM »

Don't do anything your ortho didn't tell you to do. If rubberbands are needed in your case, you will get them. Adding on your own features to your braces could make your teeth move the wrong way. And moving your teeth too fast can cause serious and permanent damage.
Yeah - I meant requesting rubber bands, not just using them. :P

And you're very knowledgeable about braces for somebody who doesn't have or work with them - thanks for the helpful information! :D

OctoberMM

#8 Post by OctoberMM »

It's incredible that your teeth are already clicking and loosening ... especially without an archwire on your top arch, coz there's nothing on there to loosen your teeth. Maybe it's just your bottoms that you can feel ... but still amazing that it's so soon!
Yeah, just the bottoms. And I thought that it was rather soon too. My teeth have always been a bit "loose," so maybe that has something to do with it - will this speed up my treatment?? :wink:
yes you can! Adjust your attitude, get positive and help yourself. Braces do not prevent us from doing anything ... only we can do that! :dance:
That right there made me smile, so I guess you're right. Also, I'll check out those links, thanks for all the information!

- Peter

nico07

#9 Post by nico07 »

I had braces through university. It's not a big deal.

I think they're cute!

OctoberMM

#10 Post by OctoberMM »

Day two: SOMEBODY KILL ME.

niknikc

#11 Post by niknikc »

Day two: SOMEBODY KILL ME.
This was my exact expression on day two...Then it made it even better when I realized I had done this to myself willingly 8)

Take heart NinjaNoodles, it does get better in a few days! Just keep up with salt water rinses, the ibprofen (or your preference) handy, and I'd say that you are completely understanding the whole concept of "soft" food diet by now :roll: .
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06

Delag

#12 Post by Delag »

¨What´s ALF?¨ *I FEEL SO OLD!* :shock:

newmetal

#13 Post by newmetal »

Alrite Peter,

I get what you mean my freind about not liking braces and not wanting to smile. Do you live in the UK? As a bloke i find that you dont see many men over the age of 16 with braces. The pain and feeling of the brace will subside soon and you will find it much easier.I hated them for the first week but after the first week and going back to college and seeing your mates treat you no differently, youll be cool.

Newmetal

lisaemtp

#14 Post by lisaemtp »

I'm with all of you on the day two "OW!" Worse than I hoped but not as bas as I'd feared (right now), but I did finally have to take some advil for the aching. Lips are still doing OK though so thank goodness for small favors.

CSI Vegas if I had to choose...but Alf beats them both :)

Lisa

cowlypso

#15 Post by cowlypso »

okay, okay.... maybe we'll let you young folks in on the secret...

ALF is a TV show about an alien (ALF = Alien Life Form...) who crash lands on Earth and starts living with a family. It ran from 1986-1990. ALF was horribly sarcastic, and always trying to eat the family cat. For a picture of ALF, see iborg's avatar.