Concerns about Treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nbrennan

Concerns about Treatment

#1 Post by nbrennan »

I've been wearing my braces for 20 months now, and I was supposed to have them off this month. I had my bands changed last week and the dentist asked me to wear triangle elastics for 12 hours a day, and they put a powerchain on my uppers as there is a large gap on the left side. I don't know why I didn't ask at the time :? but now I am wondering exactly what he is trying to do with this arrangment. He said wearing the elastics for 12 hours a day will put the teeth in a holding pattern, however my bite is not correct yet so I don't understand why he is trying to "hold" it in place rather than continue to move into the correct place. Another issue I am having is the large gap, the chain was put on last week to pull the teeth into that open space and so far nothing has moved. Usually after I have the bands changed the largest amount of change and movement is within 2 days, and this time nothing has moved even after a week. I also usually experience quite a bit of pain for the first couple days and this time there was no pain. Since I am overdue to have my braces off I am getting quite anxious. I don't want to have to make another appointment before my next one because I think I am annoying my dentist. Does anyone have any insight into what he might be trying to acheive with this arrangment? He said that next time he is going to put a heavier wire on the bottom (he has done this 3 times already), so obviously that means I will not have my braces off next time, so that puts me into December for getting them off. I don't want to rush him but at the same time it seems like things have gone on long enough now. I'm returning to college full time in January and I don't really want to have braces. I mentioned this to him and he said yeah January shouldnt be a problem, but at the same time he seemed wishy washy. Over the course of my treatement he told me I would have them off this September, then he said I would have them off in June, then he said I would have them off in Summer, then he said November, now he isn't even sure about January. I realize that he can only forecast so much but I wonder if maybe I should get a second opinion? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

nbrennan

#2 Post by nbrennan »

Thanks for your reply KK

I am a little reluctant to made a seperate appointment with him as I did this in June and he got very frustrated and told me I had to have patience. At that time he also told me it would be November/December to get them off. I was disapointed because it was supposed to be September but I geared myself up ,telling myself I'd have them off for Christmas. Now it seems like it's been delayed even further. I'm quite interested in having a second opinion but at the same time I feel like maybe I should just trust my orthodentist.But I also have this wierd feeling that he may have let things slide earlier in the year and that's why it is delayed. Usually my gut feelings are right...

Here are some current pics. Let me know what you think!

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

hi nbrennan. I understand your frustrations. (I was originally estimated at 12 to 14 months. I will be debanded after 23 months, one week and one day).

Unfortunately, orthodontics is not an exact science. Some of us just take longer to accomplish the same or nearly the same amount of movement. If you are concerned about talking to your orthodontist because you feel you have bugged him too much, you may be right. They (the orthodontists) don't have a crystal ball, and when we try and pin them down, it puts undo pressure on them to sometimes get the braces off too soon - this leaves them in an awkward positon - you are walking around town with what they might consider "unfinished" business. This makes them look like they are not doing their work right. You have come this far, have you got the patience in you to complete the job they way it needs to be done?

This is my opinion, so just take it for what it's worth. Good luck, Attagirl.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

I know exactly how you feel as I am "overdue" myself.
I get the "be patient" lecture too. :(
Keep wearing those elastics to correct your bite.
The bite is the hardest to correct as I am very well aware.
Everyone just sees how straight the teeth are but if the bite isn't right you've got more work to do.
It never hurts to get a second opinion but then again another ortho may say he would do things differently and then you are stuck in making a decision to change or not to change and that would make your treatment longer if not add to your expense.
I know, its frustrating. Keep your mind on other things as much as you can. And, of course, vent all you want on this website. :) Many of feel your pain.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I know exactly how you feel as I am "overdue" myself.
I get the "be patient" lecture too. :(
Keep wearing those elastics to correct your bite.
The bite is the hardest to correct as I am very well aware.
Everyone just sees how straight the teeth are but if the bite isn't right you've got more work to do.
It never hurts to get a second opinion but then again another ortho may say he would do things differently and then you are stuck in making a decision to change or not to change and that would make your treatment longer if not add to your expense.
I know, its frustrating. Keep your mind on other things as much as you can. And, of course, vent all you want on this website. :) Many of us feel your pain.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lewdboy

Re: Concerns about Treatment

#6 Post by Lewdboy »

I think my ortho is playing it safe by telling me 24-48 months. I hope so!

Hermandshaw

Re:

#7 Post by Hermandshaw »

[quote="Attagirl2"]hi nbrennan. I understand your frustrations. (I was originally estimated at 12 to 14 months. I will be debanded after 23 months, one week and one day).

Unfortunately, orthodontics is not an exact science. Some of us just take longer to accomplish the same or nearly the same amount of movement. If you are concerned about talking to your orthodontist because you feel you have bugged him too much, you may be right. They (the orthodontists) don't have a crystal ball, and when we try and pin them down, it puts undo pressure on them to sometimes get the braces off too soon - this leaves them in an awkward positon - you are walking around town with what they might consider "unfinished" business. This makes them look like they are not doing their work right. You have come this far, have you got the patience in you to complete the job they way it needs to be done?

This is my opinion, so just take it for what it's worth. Good luck, Attagirl.[/quote]

pteryxm

#8 Post by pteryxm »

Sometimes there can be delays from what an orthodontist would have initially estimated, perhaps just have a look if they are reasonable - is it a compliance issue or is it that the teeth aren't moving as what was expected by the orthodontist?

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

I feel your pain. I had an original treatment plan of 24 months, which at the time I thought was a huge amount of time since I did not have a lot of major issues. But as I approached the 18 month mark, I did not see how I could possibly be done in another 6 months, but hoped against hope that maybe things would accelerate, perhaps involving magic or something. My ortho was circumspect when I asked about my progress ("Well, you're a little behind schedule") but stayed optimistic. He had ordered a bone graft prior to braces; at the time I asked him where it came from, and he got a little quiet and nearly whispered "a cadaver." Fine with me. The point of that little detour was that at the 24 month mark it was clear that I still had a long way to go, and he quipped "Well Dan, maybe you're haunted" referring to the cadaver-sourced bone graft. I had to laugh, as I deeply appreciate dark and/or sarcastic humor.
Anyhow, it ended up being 36 months. He applied closing coils and did a couple rounds of Propel therapy to try to close a couple of stubborn gaps.
Everyone is different, you'll be done when you are done, and there really isn't much you can do about it except wear elastics as directed and go with the plan. You're nearly there, and this too shall pass. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying