orthodontic treatment in another city

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jaassa

Re: orthodontic treatment in another city

#16 Post by Jaassa »

I drive 4 hours each way to see my ortho, and so far have never had a problem, thank goodness. But I do worry every time I drive away from the office what I'll do if something goes wrong. I would sure hate to drive back again 4 hours just to fix a small problem. I would love to have her closer, but I figure at month 13 in braces, I might only have another 11 trips to make. :-/

gogorick

#17 Post by gogorick »

Wow thats dedication

Alotl

#18 Post by Alotl »

Hey,

It's not a bad idea that your dad was suggesting. Particularly in America, the cost of dental surgery is incredibly expensive and you would be much better off looking into what choices there are out there. Have you considered the option of treatment abroad too? There are loads of online platforms which can help you find good quality clinics who can give you professional advice on pre and post op care. Maybe check out this one https://www.medigo.com/en/dentistry

Hope you find a solution!

asylumgreen

#19 Post by asylumgreen »

If you have another reason to be making the trip (family to visit, etc.), I think five hours isn't that big of a deal. It's only once a month (it is for me, anyway).

If it was literally no reason but to save money, I probably wouldn't bother. Let's say you're saving $2,000 over two years - that's $83/month, which would probably get eaten up in travel costs, anyway.

Jay3192

#20 Post by Jay3192 »

Resurrecting an old thread :), has anyone traveled more than the average distance to receive treatment from a particular orthodontist that they liked the most/felt the most comfortable with? I assume there are transfer cases, where the travel time is prioritized lower than the comfort of having the same orthodontist complete treatment, but has anyone gone to an ortho that's further away based on reputation and personal comfort?

Just curious as to how uncommon it is, but there do seem to be people who do so as someone stated a travel time of four hours! Thats impressive.

mkstorm0710

#21 Post by mkstorm0710 »

@Jay3192, I'm in the process of transferring orthodontic care due to moving across the country. It's kinda a pain, but I've met a couple good orthodontists in the Chicago area for consultations, and have started to meet Oral/Maxillofacial Surgeons to get ready for double jaw surgery later this year. I considered keeping my old ortho in SoCal, but I figured that the travel and wanting to do the double jaw locally would really complicate things. I think if there's a reasonable distance to travel for just ortho, it's probably doable to keep an existing relationship with an ortho.