sore gums after debanding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ThisIsMary

sore gums after debanding

#1 Post by ThisIsMary »

I got my braces off 3 days ago and my gums have been pretty sore ever since debanding. I haven't really been able to brush as good as normal so I'm counting on Listerine to get rid of germs. I guess what I'm asking is, should my gums be this sore after debanding? If this is normal I'll just keep up with the warm salt water rinses that I started yesterday and clean my teeth as good as I can until my gums get better.
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

A little tenderness is acceptable for a few days, but it should not drag on. Are you still bothered? Any swelling or redness? Were you diligent about flossing through treatment?

Best,
Rory

ThisIsMary

#3 Post by ThisIsMary »

my gums are starting to get better. They're a little red but not too swollen. I did floss some with braces on but not everyday like I did before braces. The warm salt water rinses really seem to be helping so I figured I'd stick with those but if this goes on for too long I'm going to go in and see my dentist.
[/url]

Ceramics on top
Metals on bottom
18 - 24 month duration
Removed September 27, 2006
Hawley top and bottom