Lower incisor extraction - anybody out there had the same?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beanstix

Lower incisor extraction - anybody out there had the same?

#1 Post by beanstix »

Is there anybody currently on the site who has had a lower incisor extraction (ie. one of the front lower teeth removed)

Just need to swap some notes. I'm nearing the end of treatment, due to get elastics - however I'm far from happy with the result, due to my now large overbite/overjet.

Ortho says nothing can be done, due to circumference discrepancy between top arch and lower arch - and that I will just have to get used to it ... She doesn't want to tip the top arch inwards as she says it would flatten my profile.

I am so disheartened, so much time, money and effort - and I'm not happy - my lower arch feels like it has receded considerably, as the size of the arch has been reduced by 5mm (ie. the space of the extracted tooth, if it had not moved forward - the reason it was extracted). I was under the impression that my teeth would be spaced so as not to reduce the circumference considerably.

Would like to know how others are getting along with the after effects of this type of extraction - anybody out there?
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

lisab

#2 Post by lisab »

Hi Beanstix
I had a lower central incisor extraction and am about 5 months into treatment, so quite a way off completion. Sorry to hear your concerns. How many mm is your overbite? My ortho told me that I would have a 3-4 mm overbite with this type of extraction, but that he could definitely trim the top teeth, pull them back and reduce it if I want. So far, everything looks OK. I would talk again to your ortho- How much do your teeth need to be pulled back? If you are not happy, your ortho needs to address this. Is he/she easy to communicate with? Let me know how you get on and good luck.

beanstix

#3 Post by beanstix »

Hi LisaB, thanks for taking the time to reply - and the useful information.

I have no idea how many mm my overbite and overjet now is - about 3.5mm either way I would say, at a guess. When I look side-on at my teeth when they are apart, the lower arch is much further back - and so much more so than before treatment. My ortho hasn't mentioned anything about slimming down the upper teeth (I've got quite small sized teeth) - or any plan of action for minimising the overjet, only elastics which from what I've read, don't really solve the problem (eg. Lora mentions this on her blog: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lora/braces.html).

I think it's more a case of my lower arch needing to be expanded out and brought forward, rather than pulling the upper teeth inwards - however my ortho says it's not possible to do that, as gaps would appear. As the incisor extraction gap has gradually closed over time (1.5 years), the uncomfortable feeling of the lower jaw receding has developed. My upper teeth have now straightened and are in line, the arch has become larger than it was - and the lower has reduced - they don't match! I was under the impression that the lower incisor would be removed, thus alleviating the moderate overcrowding, but that the circumference would stay the same.

My ortho is sorely lacking in communication skills - so hence I always leave her surgery feeling discontent. At my next appointment, I will re-visit the issue - and ask if it's possible to do what your ortho suggested for your treatment (ie. trimming). She always says the same thing - that I'll just have to get used to it, as there's nothing that can be done to change the fact that the lower arch is reduced in size, compared with the upper. Right now I just wish I'd left well alone, not had the extraction and had the incisor that had shifted forwards pushed back in, rather than removed.

Thanks again and good luck with your treatment. [I really hope I haven't disheartened you with what's going on with me.]
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

lisab

#4 Post by lisab »

Hi Beanstix
You haven't disheartened me at all..don't worry! Fortunately I have an ortho I trust and he has always explained everything carefully to me. He even said that the overbite won't be that noticeable (though as my teeth straighten, I'm not so sure about that- it feels like the top are sticking out a bit and at this stage I feel I will definitely go for the trimming towards the end of treatment- he said it would be optional)

My case is obviously different to yours, though- I had severe upper and lower crowding.

I really hope you get some options at your next appointment. Keep in touch.

missfashionista

#5 Post by missfashionista »

Hi, I am reviving this thread. Anyone out there in the same situation? I am due to have one of my lower incisors extracted to correct my crowding but upon some research, stumbled on this thread. I just want to make sure everything is going to be OK before I go ahead with the extraction. Thanks in advance!

¤sabrina¤

#6 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

I have an overretained lower baby incisor that will have to come out during braces, they didnt tell me when yet tho
my story -- http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25125
February 29 2008 - initial consultation, records and spacers
March 17 2008 - molar bands
March 20 2008 - 2 upper 1st premolar extractions
April 17 2008 - upper jaw braced
April 24 2008 - lower jaw braced
May 1 2009 - primary left central incisor extraction

breda206

#7 Post by breda206 »

My lower teeth were crowded and I had a lower incisor extracted.
I don't have an overjet or overbite though, quite the opposite, barely any space at all between top and bottom teeth (hence the original reason to get braces, my bottom incisors were pushing my top incisors during night time grinding and I thought one day I might wake up with my top teeth broken!). I have whats called a Bolton discrepancy, my two front top teeth are the same size as three of my lower front teeth. I am 9 1/2 months into treatment and the gap is nearly closed at this stage.

momtogrif

#8 Post by momtogrif »

I just went in for my first consultation and they told me I needed a lower incisor pulled at some point during treatment. I was also told I was borderline jaw surgery.
I am going to be getting top and bottom braces and I'm worried that things will get worse before they get better with my bite! Currently I have a lot of wear on my teeth, crowding, and I have a TON of dental work done on my teeth. I just want my teeth to make it into my 70's(ok, late 60's if possible). I really want to save my gums from future problems so that's why I'm doing this braces thing!

On a positive note: my mother got a lower incisor removed when she was 25 and got braces on then. She is very happy with her tooth alignment and her smile!

missfashionista

#9 Post by missfashionista »

I think I have a slight overbite (check out my braces story or my avatar). Not sure though, I need to talk to my ortho. again next time I see him. The next time I see him (4/10), it will just be a quick check-up on my newly braced uppers and at that time, we will schedule my lower incisor extraction.

breda206, do you have any photos? I would like to compare my case with yours...since I have not come across many people who just get their lower incisor extracted. Most people get their molars extracted. I wonder how it looks with just 3 incisors in the front...is it obvious?

breda206

#10 Post by breda206 »

Okay, some of these photos are bad, but you can get the general gist,
this was my bite:

this was my normal smile:

and this was them apart, so you can see my diastema and crooked lower row:

this is after getting ligs on a few days after extraction:

this is on 5 february:

and this is today:

missfashionista

#11 Post by missfashionista »

Thanks for posting the photos!! Looks like you are coming along very well. How long is your treatment by the way?

breda206

#12 Post by breda206 »

I was given an 18-24 month estimated time, and i'm 9 1/2 months in, so i'm secretly wishing it'll be shorter, here's hoping!

by the way i had the two upper 1st bicuspids extracted when I was 12 and only had a hawley retainer to relieve crowding in my top arch, that's why they were semi-ok for a long time.

How long is your treatment time?

missfashionista

#13 Post by missfashionista »

My ortho. said my treatment time would be 20 months. I also hope it will be shorter! You are so lucky you are almost halfway through your journey!

So I am looking at your photos again...and have a stupid question. Your teeth like mine, looked a little too big for your mouth in the early stages of your treatment. But now, they look the perfect size! Did having the braces "push" your front teeth up higher into your gum region? My front 4 teeth look too big for my mouth, I wonder if after a few months, either the gum line comes down or the teeth gets pushed up into the gums.... :?

breda206

#14 Post by breda206 »

my central incisors looked bigger because of the gap and also they were splayed out, so they were pushed a little up then but the lateral incisors were pulled at a lot and were very painful at the start of treatment.

Maybe this photo might illustrate it better:

Gennel

#15 Post by Gennel »

I am glad that I signed on today! I am going through the same thing and wondered what to do ! My lower central incisor was removed due to boneloss . It's been about 6 1/2 months that I've been in powerchains and it's finally closed 99% ! Now I have the lowers gaps almost all closed and more pushed back.The top is also like3.5mm overbite on top and I'm wondering if my ortho is considering shaving some of my top teeth and closing them,therefor pushing the top more back. I will ask him about this at my next appt . I think I don't want my top teeth moved back much more simply because of my profile. I'm afraid that it will sink my profile in too much. My main concern now is to get my top premolars down enough to touch the bottom premolars.I'm on a box configuration elastics now to achieve this.I will be left with the dreaded black triangle space on my lower front teeth because those two teeth that are now close are totally different shapes so I don't know if bonding is an option.I will look into that after the braces come off. I will post pictures later of my smile profile and front smile.
Beanstix : can you post a picture of your smile so I can see if this is the same thing I am concerned about?

Gennel