Lower incisor extraction - anybody out there had the same?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spartanforever

#31 Post by spartanforever »

This was exactly the thread I was looking for -

from the people who have posted in this thread - any updates on your progress?

I have my uppers done, and my ortho has recommended to get my lower incisor extracted to get the best results. I'll post a picture later (updated- picture below - sorry its a little grainy) - but its literally its at 90 degrees to the tooth next to it. In fact, the 3 orthos I consulted with before getting my braces all talk about extracting my lower inciscor.

My current ortho also said that there may be a slight overjet at the end of the treatment.

But the responses on this thread have gotten me concerned. I never bothered to find out how much overject there might be, etc.

catfish

#32 Post by catfish »

Wow - perfect timing for this thread to reappear! I'm looking at getting a lower incisor removed. I was actually pretty excited about it because of the benefits I hope to gain. But I hadn't given any thought to some of the downsides mentioned here. This has definitely helped me develop questions for my ortho before I proceed.

Thanks everyone for sharing, and I hope to hear some updates as well.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Memran

#33 Post by Memran »

I've just had one of my lower central incisors pulled out yesterday.
"gingival stripping" is a term for significant gingival recession. If a lower incisor is blocked out of the arch, there can be so much stress on the tissue that it recedes significantly exposing the root.
Thats pretty much exactly what it was like. The root was not exposed too badly yet though.

vlamb13

Re: Lower incisor extraction - anybody out there had the sam

#34 Post by vlamb13 »

I had a lower incisor removed (an old crown from my teens) 5 weeks ago. My ortho recommended to remove the crown since it was very big. I also had two upper molars extracted to help with overjet. 5 weeks later the gap is closing and I was a good candidate for the surgery. From everything I have read it is not for everyone but it was a good move for me. My ortho has been great and I have had weekly visits to help with the closing of the gaps. From metal powerbands with rubber powerbands over them, to lingual buttons with additional powerbands on the lingual buttons..needless to say my mouth has been under some strain. I'm SO happy with the results thus far.

Mylovedtheeth

Re: Lower incisor extraction - anybody out there had the sam

#35 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

I,ve also been typed for lower incisor extraction. I've got slight narrower upper arch incisor with compare to lower (of course with ratio) than average but I don't know is already Bolton discrepancy.
But i'm wondering a factor is i've got both arch much more triangle than average. Orthodontist says that when he extract 4 premolars the lower canine will be in wrong position.