dissolvable stitches

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

science teacher

dissolvable stitches

#1 Post by science teacher »

I am allergic to dissolvable stitches. the stitch sites will get infected and abcess and leave terrible scars.

I'm expecting to have a SARPE done in the near future and was wondering if there would be a problem with using the non dissolvable kind of stitches?

Kim

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

An abscess or infection is not a sign or symptom of an allergic reaction. I think you are one of the first people that I have ever heard of that has an allergy to resorbable sutures. The type of suture material used is strictly up to your surgeon. Just mention this to your OS and they will act accordingly. But there is no problem using a non-resorbable material if you prefer.

Regards,
Rory

Laieniel

#3 Post by Laieniel »

Hi Science Teacher

I have a question for you ....When the abcess forms does the stitch itself come out ?

Your body can reject dissolvable stitches.. I.E I had a lap appy 2 months ago and after about 1 week the internal Vicryl Sutures actually began coming out of my belly button where one of my incisions was. I'm not allergic I just reject them in which the area becomes inflamed red and a bump will appear then the stitch will slowly work itself out.

I have actually seen several patients allergic to Vicryl Sutures. I deal with Ob pt's and usually women who have had c-sections that have to come back due to a reaction to the Vicryl. I'm not sure at all though that Orthos or dentists use this type. But it is definately something I would alert your surgeon about.

Let me know how it goes

science teacher

scars

#4 Post by science teacher »

Sometimes the stitches remove themselves, but I've also had the wound open up around the stitches in an effort to remove them.

My mother is also allergic to the dissolvable stitches. It took a minor surgery that wouldn't heal for close to 6 months to figure it out.

I also keliod scar. I get the red, raised scars and the really wide ones. You should see my belly. The C-sections were staples and you can't see them, the appy and gallbladder were dissolvable and they are GROSS!

Kim

Laieniel

#5 Post by Laieniel »

I would definately alert the surgeon up front as thats not a kind of problem you'd want in your mouth. Keep us posted!