extreme tooth pain/sensitivity years after upper jaw surgery

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sica

extreme tooth pain/sensitivity years after upper jaw surgery

#1 Post by sica »

i had upper jaw surgery back in 1989 for an extreme overbite. surgery was textbook, no complications. i have 4 metal plates in my face. haven't had any numbness in my lips at all. what i do have is EXTREME tooth pain/sensitivity that comes and goes. it started about 10 years ago and i've had 3 or 4 root canals to relieve the pain over the years. but the pain keeps coming back. it's always on the right upper teeth. dentist/surgeon are baffled. i can't keep getting root canals.

is this a common side effect from the surgery? do i have any options besides dealing with the pain or more root canals??

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Any composite (tooth colored) fillings in those teeth? Or large silver fillings? If the pain started soon after surgery it may be a reason, but there is no way to prove it. Does it happen with all temperature changes? Hot? Cold? Air?

Regards,
Rory

sica

#3 Post by sica »

it mainly happens with hot liquids but sometimes cold. sometimes i can just be sitting there and the pain just shoots through. the teeth that are bothersome are the front teeth over to the right until the eye tooth on my right side. i've had root canals in both front teeth and both teeth next to them. no other filings in the teeth until my molars. dentist/surgeon think that *maybe* it's just a nerve "spasming" or something to that effect and that eventually i will just have to have root canals in all my upper teeth. i don't think so! i want to say that all of this started around 1994. the pain can stay away for some time and then just suddenly appear. as it's been gone for at least a year if not more and now the last 3 days it's back again.

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Do you have any gum recession in the area? Sounds like something that needs a clinical evaluation to get a better idea.

Good Luck,
Rory

sica

#5 Post by sica »

i think i might and will bring it up to my dentist as a thought. i'm scared to have them look at it again for fear of another root canal. i take my daughter in next month so will ask them then. thanks!