Why didn't my ortho change or even tighten my archwire?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

6asterisks

Why didn't my ortho change or even tighten my archwire?

#1 Post by 6asterisks »

Hi guys, I'm pretty new on the braces scene, only had them on for a month.. :D

Last week, I had my first tightening. Before that, my friends told me to expect a lot of pain since it would the first and the feeling when I first put the braces on would come back. However after the procedure, I didn't feel a thing at all & was very happy . when I told them in school, they were quite shocked. As we conversed deeper, I realised that my ortho didn't do stuff that theirs did - Changing the archwire. Some said it's fine but he should at least 'tighten' the wire... which my ortho didn't do either...
he only changed the ligatures.. I asked a friend of mine who went to him too, he said that he experienced the same thing [no tightening] and only changed the wire after 6 months.

i've been obsessed about this problem.. Why didn't he tighten my archwire?? I really feel like calling him to ask but I fear it might insult him in one way or another.. I know it's just my 2nd month but I need assurance.. Please help me!!
:(

6asterisks

#2 Post by 6asterisks »

Thank you very much! :)

Zondrae

#3 Post by Zondrae »

Hi there, it sounds like you & I got our braces around the same time. I've just had my first adjustment too. I didn't get new wires either, the first ones still had a lot of "spring" left in them. My ortho said we will change them next time (in about 7 weeks). He changed my top ligs because they were stained. He put 3 new wire ties in place for more activation. And he clipped the wires at the back that were sticking out.

Other than that, nothing. My teeth have been a tiny bit more sensitive but not really more painful. The wire ties are exerting more pressure in different places than before.

So I wouldn't worry - it sounds like things are going fine to me :D

Julie08

Thanks for explanation

#4 Post by Julie08 »

Thanks for the explanation, KK! I had the same experience - bummed because not much happened at my first 5-week appointment - and I wanted something drastic to happen like during the first week I had braces - the first two days I saw/felt movement. Since my 1st five-week appt., I've felt no pain and seen no real movement so was worried nothing is happening. Glad to know that everything is probably OK - "no pain, no gain" doesn't always apply to orthodontics!