Arch expansion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jalapeno

Arch expansion

#1 Post by jalapeno »

So most of these treatments (including my proposed one) involve somehow expanding the front of the dental arch to make room for some crowding to be resolved.

I am confused about this. My understanding is the bone of the jaws is already formed and will not change (since we are adults).

So how do they get the arch to expand outward? I don't get it. Is there a lot of bone on the outside of the tooth roots and they just move the teeth and roots outward closer to the outside of the bone? So the roots are that much closer to poking through the outside of the bone after the arch is expanded?

2oldtocare

#2 Post by 2oldtocare »

They move your teeth out like this \ or / but not the bone of course which is permanent. Using some kind of expander. I had a W-arch expander. Which moved the teeth out on both sides. I had it in for 15 months. You lisp at first, but you get used to it. They hook it to bands on your molars and it sits close to the top of your mouth. The 'W" pushes outward to spread your teeth. It works! Others have different expanders that you tighten, etc. All depends on what you need. I'm 55 years old now, and it worked for me. Hopefully, the retainers I'll get when this is over will keep them spread!

jalapeno

#3 Post by jalapeno »

Really? They flare the teeth outward? Is that how you ended up? Doesn't seem like what you'd want.

Some of this is pretty puzzling.

cmm1280

#4 Post by cmm1280 »

I could be wrong here. But I think, when the arch is too narrow, using expanding devices can only do so much. That is where surgery comes in to actually expand the bone. It seems that mild cases of narrow jaws can be corrected with expanders, but more severe cases will require surgery to get it right.

Please do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong.

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

Attagirl2

#5 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi, my arches were expanded by the use of Damon 3, self ligating braces. The top picture in my Avatar is me at 1 month into braces. The bottom picture is a current picture. I am to get my braces off within the next 6 weeks. I didn't have to have a major amount of expansion, but still, I notice the increased amount of room.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

science teacher

expander

#6 Post by science teacher »

I need to have my top jaw expanded 6mm. I will have to have a SARPE to accomplish it.

Kim

jalapeno

#7 Post by jalapeno »

Hi, quite a lot of good replies here which I really appreciate. I have to apologise for asking so many fairly technical questions without ever having really introduced myself in this forum.

But can I just clarify more what I am asking. I'm asking about non-surgical, archwire expansion. My question is really this: does the bone of the jaw itself expand such that the arch is wider because of bone changes? That is, is the bone of the jaw actually made to be a bit wider? From some of these replies it seems yes, the bone itself was made to change to become wider in the arch. Is that correct?

KK: You are right this is a question for the ortho but I've already sort of had my chance to ask all the questions I feel, since I already had two consults.

Meryaten, I am amazed at the arch expansion you got there which you said was from only the archwire. I know you got SARPE but forgot what that means but I assume it doesn't affect that front archwidth. Seems for sure there must be expansion actually by bone change, right?

Thanks again for all the help you've given to me so far.

kiwi_girluk

Arch expander

#8 Post by kiwi_girluk »

Just a quick note. I have had an expander in the top of my jaw for the past eight weeks and both myself and my ortho have seen massive movement. I have the 'quad-helix' expander, which is like the W expander, that doesn't require tightening.

There is a debate in the dental world that expanders in Adults don't work, but I think its all down to the patient. Mine is working, though I have a slight lisp and it is annoying eating sometimes, but only 4 months to go till its out!!

candygrrrl

#9 Post by candygrrrl »

Hi there: I am a 42 year old female who had an RPE (rapid palatal expander) in my top arch for six months. I was apparently a candidate for expansion without surgery – not every adult is though. It is generally believed that the top arch – which is actually two pieces of bone that meet in the middle – fuses at that mid point after the late teens. However, the bone can be expanded outward in a kind of tipping motion. This tipping is then corrected with the use of archwires and elastics post expansion. Which is what my treatment involves. And don't let any ortho tell you that braces, etc. only move teeth. They DO move bone. I have experienced changes in my face shape, which, while not unpleasant (basically, my cheebones are higher), were certainly never explained to me as a consequence of treatment.

justsomegirl

#10 Post by justsomegirl »

I just started this yesterday!
They placed an expander in the roof of my mouth (which I'll have a million questions about in another post).
In two weeks, I'll have surgery.

The doctor will cut the bone...like when you fold a piece of paper in half a few times to weaken it in order to rip it. He'll cut it a bit to weaken the bones. Three cuts, through my gums above my top teeth. He'll turn the expander key a few times, so I'll have a gap between my front teeth when I come out of surgery. Then I'll turn the key daily for about 1 month. The expander will stay in place for 6 months for the bone to reform and set.

Side effects are numbness which is actually a GOOD thing because then the expanding won't hurt! Also, nosebleeds. He says there is a possibility that a root canal will be needed if he cuts too close, but he's never had to do that before and my roots are well-spaced.

I'll keep you posted after surgery.

2oldtocare

#11 Post by 2oldtocare »

I should clarify my response. My teeth were tilted in \ . The expander pushed them out. | Then they have used elastics to bring them down over the bottom teeth, and are now leveling them out with the use of "kinks" in the arch wire. It's amazing what can be done. :D

jalapeno

#12 Post by jalapeno »

KK OK, thanks for the correction. And iff and when I get this understood I'll post it back here. Seems from the answers so far that the bone really does move and expand. I'm still puzzled why the teeth don;t just get pushed right out past the bone though. What causes some bone to still stay on the outward side of the teeth...

Meryaten Right, no SARPE. That expansion you got there is just remarkable. There's no way you could have achieved that without bone changes or some of those upper arch teeth would be outside the bone entirely!

candygrrrl High cheek bones - very desireable and at no extra charge!

Everyone else - thanks for all the replies, very informative

IzzyCharm

#13 Post by IzzyCharm »

Hi I'm new here and I just got my quadhelix put in 5 days ago. I am having a VERY hard time talking. How long does that normally last? I have to talk on the phone due to my job and it's so hard.

kiwi_girluk

Quadhelix hell!

#14 Post by kiwi_girluk »

Hi Izzy,

I had my quadhelix fitted exactly three months ago and I thought I would never get away from speaking like daffy duck. But it does get better. I would say come my third-fourth week I was back to about 95% and though there are words now that I still have a little trouble saying, your tongue does look for new gaps to hit the roof of your mouth with certain pronunciations so don't be too worried.

After the first two-three days I wanted to rip it out of my mouth so I know where you are coming from. I have another two months then its coming out and I can't wait. I go weeks without any trouble and then it gives me grief. Spacers are nothing compared to this appliance! But the improvement in my palette has been amazing so no regrets!!

Good luck and if you have any troubles just post em on here...

AnnaC

#15 Post by AnnaC »

Hi Everyone,

It's been really interesting and useful reading all your experiences.

I'm about to embark on non-surgical palate expansion. I'm 30 and have a very narrow upper jaw. I did explore the surgery route but have decided to give the non-surgical route a try first.

I'm hoping you can answer some questions:

-how often do you turn the key? My ortho mentioned twice a day, but that seems like trying too much too fast for someone of my age (I read something about the risk of throwing the roots out, which freaked me out a bit)

-how long did you wear the expander appliance?

-have any of you tried non-surgical expansion and had no/poor results?

-did you have any changes to your facial features (nose, cheeks ?)

Many thanks in advance.