Braces for 5 years

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Richo

Braces for 5 years

#1 Post by Richo »

Hi there..
I'm a 17 year old and I've had braces since a few months before my 12th birthday.
I was told I'd have them off at the max. 24 months, however it then turned into 3 years, and have been told i'm getting them off many times. My teeth were fine 3 years ago but something was adjusted and went crooked, then straight, then crooked, continuously.
I've been wearing elastics for 2 or so years, and now my ortho says theres nothing else he can do but give me springs which I got on recently. Already the bottom part of the spring has come off the braces 6 times, and I have had to fix them with the screwdriver he gave me. Many things have broken since I've had braces which has caused extreme difficulties. My orthodontist also goes away a lot which means I have to put up with these problems.
My teeth are okay, still crooked and bucky, but this trauma is killing me.
I've been diognosed with CFS and depression, and one of the causes is thought to be because of my braces.
I work in customer service, and with these springs I can barely open my mouth (cant eat!!)
Braces has honestly been the worst thing that has happened to me, and I've become so emotional from having them. Majority of my friends have had braces and all got them on after me and off before me.
I'd like to get a second opinion on my braces however don't really have the money..
Help :[

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Richo,

It usually doesn't cost anything to get a second opinion. I would do it just for peace of mind. It might help you just to talk to another ortho. If you don't have any more money you may be able to get a partial refund from the current ortho to pay another ortho if indeed you end up switching. The worst thing to do when you have a real problem is do nothing. If you do nothing you will be stuck. The best thing to do is take action. I think you have taken the first step. Good luck and stay in touch.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

Oh dear Richo I really do feel for you.

This is my worry with my son getting braces, i've heard about some cases where children / young adults end up wearing them for 3 or 4 years during the most important growing up years of their life especially emotionally.

I would definately go for a second opinion. It seems to me that they must have made mistakes with your treatment in the past.

I understand what you are going through with the springs.. I've got them on the top at the front and after speaking all day to colleagues and people on the phone I end up with sore areas like someone has had a go with sandpaper.

I suffer from CFS and have done for several years.. Hold on in there, but definately go for a second opinion.. I'm sure wearing braces for that length of time can't really be that good for your teeth and can really understand why you are depressed..

stRaighteR

#4 Post by stRaighteR »

go for a second opinion =(...2 years should not have turned into 5 years...

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm a second opinion kind of guy and 24 months should not turn into 60 months (Five Years)

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008