6 year old & damaged gum line

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zondrae

6 year old & damaged gum line

#1 Post by Zondrae »

My 6 year old son has only had his secondary central lower teeth for a few months. They have grown in with a very large space between them. The problem we have is on one side the gum line is very low & sore. He has complained about it being sensitive. The tooth looks really "long" compared to the other one.

I've started brushing for him (he does a terrible job - well he's 6!) with a very small amount of Sensodine toothpaste in an upward motion. I've also started flossing for him around the area. That plus salt water rinses. Am I doing the right things? Should I be doing anything else?

Do we need to go to the dentist? I'm concerned for the tooth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have to say I'm puzzled why he's got a receding gumline at his age. Is it just due to improper brushing/hygene?

Regards, Zondrae

Zondrae

#2 Post by Zondrae »

Thanks Karen - it is one of those things that as a parent you are PRETTY sure you are doing the right thing, but not 100% :? It is a bit better today but I'm still paying it lots of attention.

I look forward to hearing what the doc has to say.