essix retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chops

essix retainers

#1 Post by chops »

I just recently read about these all over these forums and am very much interested in getting one. I've only been out of braces for a few days so far, but I hate my hawley, it makes me lisp, saliva keeps bothering me, there's a weird suction at the roff of my mouth, and I'm self conscious about it especially since I have to speak in front of people eveyr week.

so I was wondering if essix retainers can be used by everyone? and would it be too soon to request for one from my ortho? I don't mind wearing the hawley at night, I've read that some ppl interchange between the 2 retainers (for day and for night)...is this somethig that is reliable in terms of retention??

thanks

chops

#2 Post by chops »

anyone? :cry:

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Not being in retainers yet, I can't answer that question but I hated not seeing any response to your question. :(

I know that hawleys can be adjusted if your teeth move, but essix retainers cant. They would have to make another set.

Since its only been a few days, perhaps you can give it more time to get adjusted to the Hawley. Everyone seems to have difficulty for several weeks trying to adjust. But I don't see why you can't ASK if you can have the essix. :)
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I am still pre-braces, but I do have a removable expander that is just like a Hawley, except it has screws for expansion in the center and the plasitic is thicker than a typical Hawley. I can tell you that after 2-3 weeks you will get used to it. Most of the time I forget I even have it. In fact, sometimes my mouth feels strange without it.

Hang in there and good luck!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

stRaighteR

#5 Post by stRaighteR »

i have had both...every hawley i have had has chipped (that's 3 sets of hawleys i've had)...but i think i prefer them to the essix...my essix always makes my bite feel off when i take them off in the morning...it does correct itself, but i don't like that feeling...and if u're worried about the suction at the roof of ur mouth, u won't like the essix...b/c mine feels like one big suction (teeth, gums, roof of mouth)...

chops

#6 Post by chops »

I'm wondering how there is suction at the roof of your mouth? since I thought essix was only around the teeth???

Also, if I only get essix for the top teeth (that's the only jaw I"m treating) will I still have a "off-bite"?? plus, I don't plan on wearing it to bed, I just want one for day wear.

stRaighteR

#7 Post by stRaighteR »

mine covers the roof of my mouth...but i'm sure some are made differently...